QT/hospital: buildup of food while using Prime

ReefAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question set up: If I am doing a 10+ day period of qt/hospital (10 gallon tank) with chloroquine phosphate per humblefish's protocol,
adding Seachem Prime religiously every 48 hours, adding topoff to maintain salinity, etc.
Hypothetical question: (While in reality I use my vacuum to clean
extra food and poop every few days in QT), ....theoretically, if you left all of the extra food and waste products in the tank
but kept Prime-ing it..... would that be harmful to the fish in there for 10-ish days? If so, how/why? Would it be elevated
nitrite and nitrates? Thanks guys, just a topic of curiosity for me.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last at tank I did was 3 fish in 26 gallons. Didnt dose prime but had it cycled wirh sponges, once I started copper I didn't vacuum a thing, fed normal, or do a wc just top off. Lasted 2 months like that with ammonia alert going off or problems, although it got pretty ugly with algae. A bleach soak took care of it overnight

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question set up: If I am doing a 10+ day period of qt/hospital (10 gallon tank) with chloroquine phosphate per humblefish's protocol,
adding Seachem Prime religiously every 48 hours, adding topoff to maintain salinity, etc.
Hypothetical question: (While in reality I use my vacuum to clean
extra food and poop every few days in QT), ....theoretically, if you left all of the extra food and waste products in the tank
but kept Prime-ing it..... would that be harmful to the fish in there for 10-ish days? If so, how/why? Would it be elevated
nitrite and nitrates? Thanks guys, just a topic of curiosity for me.

Prime would lock up the ammonia coming from the rotting food, in theory. Ammonia wouldn't be available for the nitrosomonas bacteria to convert it to nitrite.

Use of prime, I would still be testing for ammonia and would still remove the uneaten food.

FYI, never use prime in any tank with copper, it will magnify the potency of the copper x10. Lethal at that level.

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime would lock up the ammonia coming from the rotting food, in theory. Ammonia wouldn't be available for the nitrosomonas bacteria to convert it to nitrite.

Use of prime, I would still be testing for ammonia and would still remove the uneaten food.

FYI, never use prime in any tank with copper, it will magnify the potency of the copper x10. Lethal at that level.
Actually our own fishapedia of fish disease and treatment has tested with copper power and prime and it is now considered safe, made a sticky

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually our own fishapedia of fish disease and treatment has tested with copper power and prime and it is now considered safe, made a sticky

Cupramine is still on the "no no" list.
Being a "ionic copper".

So yes I read this. It's till important to put out that the use of ammonia reducers with any unknown saltwater source, it's best to not use these products because of the toxicity issues. "Fish bought at LFS" water. You never truly know what they use in their holding tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back