QT my new clownfish

ReeferMadness710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased what I believe is a male clownfish that I hope to pair with my female. I have read that 30 days alone can turn a male into a female clown. How can I avoid this if I have to QT him for 30 days? Is there something I can do to keep him male? Should I not worry about it or should I treat him with medication and get him out early if that makes sense. Thanks for the time!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clowns are born male. Usually the largest one in a group will be the one to turn female. Once they turn female, they cannot turn back to male.
I'm not an expert, but how do you know your clownfish is male? The only reason I know mine are male/female is because they were the same size when we got them, and now the female is twice the size of the male.

OP
OP
R

ReeferMadness710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clowns are born male. Usually the largest one in a group will be the one to turn female. Once they turn female, they cannot turn back to male.
I'm not an expert, but how do you know your clownfish is male? The only reason I know mine are male/female is because they were the same size when we got them, and now the female is twice the size of the male.
All clowns are born with no sex. They recieve signals from their environment to determine what kind of sex they need to be. If they sense a female, they become male. When they go a period of time alone(3-6 weeks), they become female. My female is a female because she has been alone and my male is a male because I bought one that was following the female in the tank ;) he also has nips on his fins which show me that a female was claiming dominance while chasing him so my chances of him being male are higher. Either way I am trying to avoid turning him into a female and trying to figure out the best way

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back