QT observation

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a 2 week qt period just seems nice Vs 6.

This is what I'm working towards. If I can get the QT period down to just 2 weeks (or less), more people will find that feasible. CP takes care of all known external parasites (ich, velvet, brook, uronema); prazi & metro are dewormers/treat internal parasites. That just leaves bacterial infections to figure out (you can use most antibiotics in conjunction with copper & I have confirmed thru alprazo that you can use Furan-2 with CP.)

The only flaw with your 10 day copper treatment plan is copper does not fully treat brook. It will sometimes suppress symptoms, but brook usually returns after the fish is taken out of copper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrukus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a script of CP go for? My girl is going to ask the vets about it when she goes back to work. They only do companion animals though-fish are considered exotics. Is there an amount I should ask for? Or strength?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a script of CP go for? My girl is going to ask the vets about it when she goes back to work. They only do companion animals though-fish are considered exotics. Is there an amount I should ask for? Or strength?

$3/gram is about the norm, but I have seen pharmacies charge double that. Standard dosage rate is 40mg/gal, so it takes about 1.2 grams for me to treat my 29 gal QT. Or 800mg if I use a 20 gal; 400mg for a 10 gal. I never re-use CP on a second batch of fish, as it has a very short half-life. FYI; you can safely dose up to 80mg/gal if you are trying to save a fish with a heavy infestation of velvet. So, dosage varies by size of QT & the situation you are facing. But in theory, anything ≥40mg/gal should get the job done in all cases.

Whatever you do, make sure you are getting pharmaceutical grade 99% pure CP. The 1% is a binder. So long as you obtain it from a US pharmacy, this should not be a problem. But if you get it from some guy on eBay or an online vendor who has sourced it from China, who knows what you're really getting?

This CP "primer" contains a lot more detailed info: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/192309-chloroquine-phosphate.html

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back