QT Process Questions

DaveFe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have my first fish (3 flasher wrasses) for my DT in QT now and had a couple questions on the process. Fish have been in QT for 12 days.

1. The fish arrived in 1.016 SG water, I matched my QT to that but my display is 1.026. What's the safest way to raise the SG in the QT and at what rate should I raise it up ?

2. Thinking ahead to the transfer, my plan was to siphon water out of the QT until I could easily net the fish, put them in a bucket with a small amount of water from the QT tank in it, carry bucket to the display multiple rooms over, then net again and drop into display tank. Any tips or tricks to make the process easier or less stressful on the fish?

Thanks,

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have my first fish (3 flasher wrasses) for my DT in QT now and had a couple questions on the process. Fish have been in QT for 12 days.

1. The fish arrived in 1.016 SG water, I matched my QT to that but my display is 1.026. What's the safest way to raise the SG in the QT and at what rate should I raise it up ?

2. Thinking ahead to the transfer, my plan was to siphon water out of the QT until I could easily net the fish, put them in a bucket with a small amount of water from the QT tank in it, carry bucket to the display multiple rooms over, then net again and drop into display tank. Any tips or tricks to make the process easier or less stressful on the fish?

Thanks,

1. Just compensate for evaporation with SW instead of FW. This will slowly raise the salinity until you reach the desired level. Then just top off with FW until you are ready to transfer.

2. What you explain is exactly how I move fish from QT - DT. Just make sure the temp/salinity are identical. Or the temp can be a degree higher. You never want to drop them into a lower temp without acclimation.

Hope this helps!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Match up the salinity in both tanks. You can add salt water to replace evaporation to bring up salinity. Usually, that works pretty well. I have heard of people adding small amounts of salt mix to a tank. I have never tried it.

Also try to match the temperature in both tanks. Even then, I do a fast drip acclimation. It never hurts to be careful and it takes only a little time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back