Qt processes?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Explain your qt process? Do you just observe or medicate. How many days?
I typically medicate. While you can observe, the issue I see is that when you are observing, as an example day 4,5 or 6 you suddenly see dots as an example and you have now allowed 3-6 day for the disease to take hold of the given fish.
If nothing else, do a 14 day ruby rally treatment, general cure or coppersafe to assure any diseas is reduced. After coppersafe, you can do PraziPro and with general cure you will have a content of prazi

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observe only for 30 days, however none are shipped and I can see before I buy.

If the fish eats swims and behaves as expected, in they go on 31.

At any time, if one starts to behave out of normal, or visible looks sick or lathargic, out he comes for secondary treatment or euthanasia as medications in my country are mostly banned without script.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observation only here. 2-3 weeks is enough to see trouble. Also enough time to fatten up their bellies and reduce stress regarding my food, cleaning and water. Also use an acclimation box. Can’t say enough about the importance of the acclimation box.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the procedure from the sticky thread (copper, then prazi-pro) unless something not treated by those medications pops up.

In theory it's fine to simply observe for 30 days or whatever, but I figure if I encounter an issue at day 5 then I have to start treatment - whereas if I just start copper right away I'm already a few days ahead in the treatment.

If I were bringing in a sensitive fish I might try observation only, but really I just avoid sensitive fish because I really dislike losing anything.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would follow the procedure from the sticky above because it's well researched and has a rationale behind it that makes sense. There are some products that say you can do a QT dip for x hours and be done. There are other products out there that are not well proven that say you can treat in the tank, etc. IMHO, if you're not going to follow an established protocol - why potentially risk the side effects of medication - just do observation.

IMHO - if you're going to do an observation, 30 days would be the time period. Additionally many fish can tolerate hypo salinity which will treat/prevent ice without chemicals. Note - it does not help for velvet, etc.

Additionally, I would also have the proper disease treatments ready. I.e. don't wait for spots, etc to appear and then try to order something.

Qt is a tricky subject. Many people don't do anything - and "have no problems". Some people do observation and have no problems. I have a feeling that much of it has to do with stocking density, water quality, the source of the fish, and whether the store has done any QT medications.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I medicate.

Reason...some issues may not be visible. Flukes, worms, intestinal parasites, etc. If fine to observe but much of it you just can't see. I've had fish for 20 plus years using this logic.

Prazipro
Metronidazole...critical and important.

Yes, ICK and Velvet are what we think about. But, don't forget the rest.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I medicate.

Reason...some issues may not be visible. Flukes, worms, intestinal parasites, etc. If fine to observe but much of it you just can't see. I've had fish for 20 plus years using this logic.

Prazipro
Metronidazole...critical and important.

Yes, ICK and Velvet are what we think about. But, don't forget the rest.
Sorry don't understand - why is metronidazole critical and important?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry don't understand - why is metronidazole critical and important?
It treats flatworms, flukes, tapeworms, etc. These do not kill a fish right away but slowly. Also, it infects all other fish as well. They are not quick killers like velvet, but make no mistake, they weaken and eventually kill.

So, have you ever seen a fish with flukes? They are translucent. Impossible to see...almost. Years ago I spotted one on a fish. I did a freshwater dip and a DOZEN or more fell off. It was gross. Never again...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It treats flatworms, flukes, tapeworms, etc. These do not kill a fish right away but slowly. Also, it infects all other fish as well. They are not quick killers like velvet, but make no mistake, they weaken and eventually kill.

So, have you ever seen a fish with flukes? They are translucent. Impossible to see...almost. Years ago I spotted one on a fish. I did a freshwater dip and a DOZEN or more fell off. It was gross. Never again...
I would ask how you dose it - It is not critical IMHO

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain your qt process? Do you just observe or medicate. How many days?
Here is a link to the quarantine process I developed for R2R:

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Correct - in the protocol - that's what prazipro is for

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back