QT Question and airbore contamination

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sets of fish which I am about to bring down from 2.5 ppm copper to 1 ppm copper for the final 15 day observation period before moving them to their final home. They have been through a full 30 days of 2.5 ppm copper with both general cure and metro according to the calendar.

I have another set of fish that I am now starting to QT in a different set of tanks. They are within 10 feet of the first two all ready QT finished fish. Is there a risk or air borne contamination from the first set of tanks as I am raising the copper levels from 1.0 ppm and lowering the other to 1.0 ppm for the 15 day observation period?

Is the therapeutic 1.0 ppm copper enough to keep fish safe from re-infection?

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sets of fish which I am about to bring down from 2.5 ppm copper to 1 ppm copper for the final 15 day observation period before moving them to their final home. They have been through a full 30 days of 2.5 ppm copper with both general cure and metro according to the calendar.

I have another set of fish that I am now starting to QT in a different set of tanks. They are within 10 feet of the first two all ready QT finished fish. Is there a risk or air borne contamination from the first set of tanks as I am raising the copper levels from 1.0 ppm and lowering the other to 1.0 ppm for the 15 day observation period?

Is the therapeutic 1.0 ppm copper enough to keep fish safe from re-infection?
Here is the best answer for you https://humble.fish/marine-ich/. I don’t think you will get anything better, interpret the way you see fit.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chance? Possibly, since it has been documented for airborne transmission within 10 feet. But, is it probable...I doubt it, personally. If it were me...it's a risk I would be willing to take without losing sleep over it.

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best answer for you https://humble.fish/marine-ich/. I don’t think you will get anything better, interpret the way you see fit.
Interesting read. The new part that I found in this is that instead of pulling everything apart and going fallow for 76 days I could risk waiting for 4 years to run through the generational life cycle of disease. I do wonder if this is true for all diseases.

As long as I add properly QT fish during those 4 years then I would never introduce a new strain. Just a thought.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah!!!! I’m a browns fan though...I know nfl is like 25/25/50 here (n/e Ohio) Cincinnati/Pittsburgh/Cleveland respectively
Grew up an hour south of Cleveland...but I'm Steelers all the way!

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. The new part that I found in this is that instead of pulling everything apart and going fallow for 76 days I could risk waiting for 4 years to run through the generational life cycle of disease. I do wonder if this is true for all diseases.

As long as I add properly QT fish during those 4 years then I would never introduce a new strain. Just a thought.
as others have said, it’s best not to worry too much...otherwise yes, you are correct. When watching things like brstv; I always try to keep in mind “they are trying to sell me something”

OP
OP
innovusaquaculture

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others have said, it’s best not to worry too much...otherwise yes, you are correct. When watching things like brstv; I always try to keep in mind “they are trying to sell me something”
But, I like buying things from them soooo much....

I've drunk the kool aid on this and I'm all in for eradicating disease from my tanks.

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have way to much time on my hands, so that makes a terrible combination. I appreciate your advice!
I wish there was more advice out there, but the hobby seems to be very tight lipped when it comes to success....I’ll be happy to give you any honest experience I have had. I even used tap water with conditioner to start!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not even sure it’s actually true for ich. An ich strain has persisted in my system since 2014. I suppose it’s possible another strain slipped though my QT process, but I think it unlikely.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, they are the only ones in the hobby actively giving ‘their’ information....just be careful
Marine depot also has a lot of videos giving out information...I like BRS as well. But, for me...Marine Depot doesn't charge tax when shipping to Tennessee, that is quite a savings when purchasing bigger items!

Shmollica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massillon!!! I grew up in Beach City just down the road near Navarre!
Heck yeah, I heard beach city has a pretty good saltwater shop. I haven’t been there yet. Good info is hard to come by for sure so yeah brs has my business and tons of hours watched too hahaha!

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah, I heard beach city has a pretty good saltwater shop. I haven’t been there yet. Good info is hard to come by for sure so yeah brs has my business and tons of hours watched too hahaha!
Beach city is a tiny town...i doubt they have a saltwater fish store. But i haven't been there in many years.

Back