QT set up and tang mouth issue

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some input on my QT tank set up and my Kole Tangs mouth....

As for the tank:
Concerned about the guy getting enough light. There’s a decent amount from the main tank, and from a lamp to the left and the main living room light. The fish looks significantly lighter in color now than when he was in the DT. Guessing that’s just the lights hitting different?
There’s a small filter creating a little bit of ripples on the top, should I put a power head in there to get some flow going? If not, an air stone?

Now for the tang himself: got him clean as a whistle a month ago, he proceeded to beat his mouth up and now it looks like he’s wearing an excessive amount of white lipstick.... went to the LFS I got him from, they recommended bifuran+, dip him in it every day for 2ish weeks? Or until it gets better. Only on day 3 of dipping so not expecting much progress.

I’ve got a 5gal bucket 1/3 of the way filled with fresh saltwater and the proper dose of bifuran. Do I need to change the water and mix a fresh batch every time? LFS said 10 min to dip. The bottle says 1 min....

TIA guys!!

CF2FB40F-3B20-418B-9058-F2F22ABC7E3E.jpeg
0D25A951-AEED-42C2-A076-274B05BA671F.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding him? Do you give him algae strips to graze on throughout the day?

OP
OP
LanaDelNeighh

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding him? Do you give him algae strips to graze on throughout the day?

Yes, he's got a clip of algae strips that I keep... filled? About every other day he goes through a strip around the size of my thumb I would say. He has been eating like a champ since day 1, never showed signs of slowing down or anything.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacterial. My initial thought was trama from picking at your rockwork too hard looking for algae. But if you're giving him strips that shouldnt be the case. @Big G @4FordFamily @pathot984 any ideas?

OP
OP
LanaDelNeighh

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacterial. My initial thought was trama from picking at your rockwork too hard looking for algae. But if you're giving him strips that shouldnt be the case. @Big G @4FordFamily @pathot984 any ideas?

Well I think that could be the case. He went HAM on the rocks and glass for the first week or so until I put some strips in there.... and he still went for the rocks. Would pick at the strip once in a while. So took him out and into the QT tank he went to prevent further harm.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah his mouth doesn't look good. The less light the better in my opinion. It helps reduce stress while they're in the QT environment.

Dips wont be as effective as treating the water column. I'd treat with the trifecta of Seach metroplex + kanaplex +Furan2 to address mouth rot and other bacterial issues for 2 weeks and then observe for 2 weeks.

Last edited:

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah his mouth doesn't look good. The less light the better in opinion. It helps reduce stress while they're in the QT environment.

Dips wont be as effective as treating the water column. I'd treat with the trifecta of Seach metroplex + kanaplex +Furan2 to address mouth rot and other bacterial issues for 2 weeks and then observe for 2 weeks.

I'd also grab a bottle of nitrifying bacteria such as biosopira and a seachem ammonia alert badge. I typically use PVC piping instead of rock. Keep it basic to avoid absorption of the medications.

Ammonia can raise quickly especially in that small body of water. I'd have plenty of fresh saltwater prepped in case a water change is needed.

OP
OP
LanaDelNeighh

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah his mouth doesn't look good. The less light the better in my opinion. It helps reduce stress while they're in the QT environment.

Gotcha! Ill order those ASAP. Found a kanaplex/metroplex combo that comes with a "food binder", should I give that a go or just go straight to dosing the whole QT with the meds?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Ill order those ASAP. Found a kanaplex/metroplex combo that comes with a "food binder", should I give that a go or just go straight to dosing the whole QT with the meds?

It is an external infection so you'll need to treat directly into the water column.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole Tangs and dwarf angels have a real hard time in QT. They are algae grazers and It's painful to watch them wearing themselves out "pecking" for algae in a barren QT.

The white lips as the bone/cartilage are exposed are easily inflamed and subject to bacterial infection. In the past I have use Sulfaplex + Neoplex (the neosporine helps with tears, cuts, and the like) with good results.

But Ciprofloxacin is much easier and does a great job. Dose 1 tablet per two gallons of 1 hour bath. Repeat for 7 days. Excellent wide spectrum antibiotic.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 7.30.11 PM.png

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole Tangs and dwarf angels have a real hard time in QT. They are algae grazers and It's painful to watch them wearing themselves out "pecking" for algae in a barren QT.

The white lips as the bone/cartilage are exposed are easily inflamed and subject to bacterial infection. In the past I have use Sulfaplex + Neoplex (the neosporine helps with tears, cuts, and the like) with good results.

But Ciprofloxacin is much easier and does a great job. Dose 1 tablet per two gallons of 1 hour bath. Repeat for 7 days. Excellent wide spectrum antibiotic.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 7.30.11 PM.png
+1 not familiar with this product, but sulfa + neoplex would be a great addition as @Big G stated.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 not familiar with this product, but sulfa + neoplex would be a great addition as @Big G stated.
I agree 100% for mouth infections. I don’t have anything to add other than be patient mouth infections can be especially slow to heal. I’ve used NFG (nitrofuracin green) successfully in the past.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back