QT setup and number of fish

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a loss of 4 out of 5 fish (to Ich), (made a mistake using someone else rock in my DT). I am going to quarantine my remaining fish and let my DT stay fallow for the 6 weeks as recommended by multiple sources. My question is going forward how many fish can you safely quarantine at a time? I am looking to put all of the fish (3-4 total fish ranging from 4-6 inches in size) that will be in my 110g DT into my QT until the time passes that my DT no longer has Ich. I currently have a 65 gallon setup with no substrate , no rocks and some PVC elbows (4 inch pipe). The filtration I am using is a media filter with mechanical filtration (bio sponges) and a power head for increase circulation. I seeded the tank using Activate. The tank is about 1 week old at this point.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ya go. I was going to say a 40. I go fallow longer than 6 weeks. Theres some tuff strains of ick out there.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 65 gal sounds great for that number/size of fish. The only thing is I am not familiar with "Activate"? Is that a bacteria in a bottle product akin to Bio-spira or Stablity?

OP
OP
T

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. I may have the name wrong. I will recheck when I go home in a few and get back with you. Since it such a common name I could not pull up a picture of the bottle on the internet.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gallon is great. Just make sure you test for ammonia and nitrites frequently and have water ready for an emergency water change. Try to syphon out any uneaten food or waste to avoid contaminating the water. Prime or any other ammonia neutralizer is a good thing to have as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take it's reading as gospel, but a Seachem ammonia alert badge will help you keep tabs on ammonia. And while it's always a good idea to have an ammonia reducer handy, DO NOT mix that with copper. Copper + ammonia neutralizer = toxic copper/dead fish

OP
OP
T

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think about using a syphon to clean the tank but thanks for jogging my thoughts. I actually have a Seachem Ammonia alarm in the tank as we speak. Like I said I based on my tank on your model with one twist of using my Media Reactor instead of a hang on the back filter. I already had one of those in the sump of my DT (only 1 week old) to test it out. Plus I was afraid I might end up with an ammonia spike with all the fish dying, so I was testing like crazy. Your post is what informed me that something like this even existed. Thanks again for that. ( Oh PS that stuff is called activate its a quick cycle bacteria culture liquid )

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back