QT Setup

SANMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks! I just set up a QT using water from my DT. Performed a water test 12 hours later. DT is Ammonia - .05ppm, Nitrite - 0ppm and Nitrates - 10ppm. The QT registered at Ammonia - .1ppm, Nitrite - .25ppm and Nitrates - 30ppm

There are currently just the CUC in the DT, 4 snails and 4 hermits in a BioCube32. The QT only has the tank, filter, heater and thermometer along with a PVC fitting for cover. Is there an amount of time to let the QT sit and cycle before I go get fish? Trying to do it right and killing myself on the patience part, started the tank up in late January.

Thank you in advance for any answers/insight/wisdom!

Matt

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter will need to grow enough bacteria to process ammonia. Adding water from yur tank is good but the bacteria you need grows on rock, sand and other surfaces.. A normal test is: add ammonia (Dr Tims is good ) to get your tank to 2ppm. If it can process that in 24hrs then you are ready to add fish

OP
OP
SANMan

SANMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter will need to grow enough bacteria to process ammonia. Adding water from yur tank is good but the bacteria you need grows on rock, sand and other surfaces.. A normal test is: add ammonia (Dr Tims is good ) to get your tank to 2ppm. If it can process that in 24hrs then you are ready to add fish
Thank you! Great recommendation.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back