QT tank help

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve been posting on here a few times about my fish who are sick. I’m suspicious of velvet now, and am planning on setting up a 10 gallon QT tomorrow to begin copper treatment. I’m just posting on here to clear up a few things going forward.

The tank will have a heater, ammonia badge, air stone, and HOB filter in it. I’m planning on monitoring the ammonia levels and doing WC every day/every other day depending on the ammonia levels.

I’m also planning on treating with Cupramine. Can someone explain how to use this? I know the copper levels must be at a therapeutic level, and I also know that this takes a couple days ideally. In this emergent case, how can I quickly get the copper levels up to a therapeutic level? When I perform WC on the QT, do I add Cupramine to the new water and then add it, or add the water and THEN the Cupramine?

When the treatment period is over, is there a way I can sterilize the same QT to then be used as an observation/holding tank until the 76 fallow period is up? And, when I can eventually add my fish back into the main tank, do I just leave the QT running or only fill it up when I plan on adding new fish?

Thanks in advance for the help. This is my first SW tank I’ve ever had, and I’ve had it set up almost 3 years. Being as it’s my first, lots of issues have come up due to me not doing things at the beginning that would have been preventative. I feel terrible at this hobby sometimes, but I guess this is how you learn.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can be set at the right level almost immediately. Do it in two parts so you don't overshoot. As for ammonia, just add a bottle of cycling bacteria and biosponges in some sort of filter (a filter pad beneath the sponges wouldn't be a bad idea after a few days). 45 days DT empty at 81 and 30 days in qt at 81. Cupramine is supposed ot be at 0.5ppm (max 0.8ppm). When doing a water change, add the copper to the new water before it goes in the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of using any ammonia detoxifying chemicals like prime or amquel with Cupramine, it can cause a toxic reaction.
Jay

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I find it important to ensure appropriate levels and the Hana tester is the easiest and most reliable in my opinion. If you are suspicious of velvet you should move quickly, and best of luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also make sure your HOB filter is not one that has carbon inserts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back