QT tank on the cheap?! What are your tips.

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’d like to set up a QT tank for future new live stock/hospital tank if needed. My main tank is small, only 33g total volume so I’m guessing I’ll only need a small QT tank. Probably just for fish as I won’t have a second coral light. I guess I’ll just dip the frags. Advice welcome!

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1$ per gallon sale 40 breeder with Fiji cube aio drop in kit. Little sicce return, hob skimmer. If you use the aquamax skimmer you might be able to position the inlet and return so it's your return pump if you really want to keep it bare bones.

Stuff some filter floss in there and a bag of cycled bio media. 200 watt Ehim heater (or a couple 100s).
Thinking 450 500 dollars all in (unless inflation gets me here, did not look up prices).
Job done.

Even less, skip the aio drop in, add an inexpensive power filter, save 100 dollars.

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1$ per gallon sale 40 breeder with Fiji cube aio drop in kit. Little sicce return, hob skimmer. If you use the aquamax skimmer you might be able to position the inlet and return so it's your return pump if you really want to keep it bare bones.

Stuff some filter floss in there and a bag of cycled bio media. 200 watt Ehim heater (or a couple 100s).
Thinking 450 500 dollars all in (unless inflation gets me here, did not look up prices).
Job done.
That set up would be bigger than display! Space is an issue.. I was thinking more “use a 5g bucket” cheap.. so far no skimmer on main tank but hopefully I’ll add one by early 2024.

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That set up would be bigger than display! Space is an issue.. I was thinking more “use a 5g bucket” cheap.. so far no skimmer on main tank but hopefully I’ll add one by early 2024.
Everything is relative, I may have gotten carried away .

I think one of those internal filters in a 5 gallon bucket could keep things going if you do water changes frequently. Obviously tiny fish only in such a small container.

OP
OP
S

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is relative, I may have gotten carried away .

I think one of those internal filters in a 5 gallon bucket could keep things going if you do water changes frequently. Obviously tiny fish only in such a small container.

All good! Hopefully one day I can have bigger everything.. all of my fish will be very small. So is this something that I keep running always, or only when it is needed?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For under $100

5 or 10 gallon tank
Small filter like a Aqueon Quiet flow 10, Tetra PF10
Heater - 50w
Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge
Air Pump - optional
Thermometer
Sponge or other media bag that has been seeded in current tank.
hiding spots - PVC

Or even a starter kit - 5 or 10 gallon .

Gman83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can wait a little bit, with the approaching holiday season you can likely get it set up real cheap. I recall last black Friday petco did 50% off tanks, which would make a 10 gal. $12. Then just a small filter, heater, etc. and your up and running. Also i would recommend an egg crate top to prevent jumping. Can get a sheet at home depot for approx. $19, and then can cut to fit your tank.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 20 gallon long (from petco $1 per gallon sale), a sponge filter with a cheap air pump, a small heater, and some pvc elbows, cheap light (not necessary but I had plenty of spares). I keep the sponge in the sump of my display tank so its seeded when adding to the qt tank. You can use a smaller tank if space is an issue. I used to use 5 gallon buckets if the fish was small enough.

Only issue with the buckets is that you cant see the fish as well. The tanks are nice because you can easily view the fish for any diseases.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back