In tank treatment - Formalin vs. Brookynella

jay1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have a situation with brook. In one room in my basement I have two separate systems. The first is a 240g and a 100g tied into a large sump and the 2nd is a 220g with a large sump.

The 240g system got a case of brook. I caught all fish out, dipped the worst affected fish in 1g/1ml heated and aerrated 37% formalin solition for 60 mins then had all fish in a 75g qt where I followed up with 1ml / 10g, daily, 7 day in tank treatment. That was roughly 3 weeks ago and all fish are doing well, symptom free while that system goes follow for 6 weeks.

My dilemma is the 220g started showing symptoms of brook and I'm out of qt space so I decided to do an in tank treatment (tank's future plans is to be a reef but new tank so currently fowlr - considerable amount of rock). I calculated I have 262 total gallons, minus displacement so went with 24mls 37% formalin daily for 7 days. Symptoms went away. Following the 7 day treatment I did a 20% wc, turned on a new lifeguard aquatics 55w uv @ 300 gph and started running copper. On the 2nd day I woke up to a very hurting tomini tang which I netted out and did the hr long dip with. It died later that day. I also noted that I had a cleaner shrimp in the system I couldn't catch which survived the 7 day in tank treatment (I couldn't catch it no matter what I tried) while the small "invasive" serpant star population died off. I concluded that the formalin must have been absorbing Into rock and substrate bringing down the potency. I then decided to do another 7 day round bumping up my dosage 50% to 36 daily mls.... first night was sleepless but all fish are accounted for and midas blenny that was flashing like crazy has stopped.

This is up to today. My question is, do I stay the course with the 36mls daily for 7 days and is it even possible to eradicate an active system of brook without any follow with the use of formalin?

Would love to hear from Jay and @Humble.

Thank you everyone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have a situation with brook. In one room in my basement I have two separate systems. The first is a 240g and a 100g tied into a large sump and the 2nd is a 220g with a large sump.

The 240g system got a case of brook. I caught all fish out, dipped the worst affected fish in 1g/1ml heated and aerrated 37% formalin solition for 60 mins then had all fish in a 75g qt where I followed up with 1ml / 10g, daily, 7 day in tank treatment. That was roughly 3 weeks ago and all fish are doing well, symptom free while that system goes follow for 6 weeks.

My dilemma is the 220g started showing symptoms of brook and I'm out of qt space so I decided to do an in tank treatment (tank's future plans is to be a reef but new tank so currently fowlr - considerable amount of rock). I calculated I have 262 total gallons, minus displacement so went with 24mls 37% formalin daily for 7 days. Symptoms went away. Following the 7 day treatment I did a 20% wc, turned on a new lifeguard aquatics 55w uv @ 300 gph and started running copper. On the 2nd day I woke up to a very hurting tomini tang which I netted out and did the hr long dip with. It died later that day. I also noted that I had a cleaner shrimp in the system I couldn't catch which survived the 7 day in tank treatment (I couldn't catch it no matter what I tried) while the small "invasive" serpant star population died off. I concluded that the formalin must have been absorbing Into rock and substrate bringing down the potency. I then decided to do another 7 day round bumping up my dosage 50% to 36 daily mls.... first night was sleepless but all fish are accounted for and midas blenny that was flashing like crazy has stopped.

This is up to today. My question is, do I stay the course with the 36mls daily for 7 days and is it even possible to eradicate an active system of brook without any follow with the use of formalin?

Would love to hear from Jay and @Humble.

Thank you everyone.
Because your tank holds almost exactly the constant for converting ppm if you add 1ml of formalin to that tank, it is equal to 1 ppm. Your 24 ml dose is essentially the same as the 25 ppm standard 24 hour dose most frequently used. Your 36 ml dose is higher than I would go as a constant bath, you could do daily water changes perhaps, but I think you should stay under 30 ppm.

OP
OP
J

jay1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because your tank holds almost exactly the constant for converting ppm if you add 1ml of formalin to that tank, it is equal to 1 ppm. Your 24 ml dose is essentially the same as the 25 ppm standard 24 hour dose most frequently used. Your 36 ml dose is higher than I would go as a constant bath, you could do daily water changes perhaps, but I think you should stay under 30 ppm.
Ok, thank you for taking the time to respond!

So with your recommendation in mind, and given that 7 days at 24ml daily didn't eliminate the brook, what would you suggest moving forward? I've now done 2 days at 36ml / day.

Do you anticipate this approach being capable of completely eradicating brook without removing all fish and doing a 6 week fishless follow or am I just buying time?

Thank you very much again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you for taking the time to respond!

So with your recommendation in mind, and given that 7 days at 24ml daily didn't eliminate the brook, what would you suggest moving forward? I've now done 2 days at 36ml / day.

Do you anticipate this approach being capable of completely eradicating brook without removing all fish and doing a 6 week fishless follow or am I just buying time?

Thank you very much again!

You could try 36 ppm every other day, that allows for the excess to dissipate. Conversely, you could go with 36 ppm per day, but perform a 25% water change prior to each day's treatment.

OP
OP
J

jay1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try 36 ppm every other day, that allows for the excess to dissipate. Conversely, you could go with 36 ppm per day, but perform a 25% water change prior to each day's treatment.
[/QUOT
Ok, will attempt the every other day option but may tack on a couple extra doses in an effort to further ensure it squashes the brook unless you suggest other wise. 2 back to back followed by 5 every other day treatments all at 36 mls.

Thank you again for your time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back