QT Tank Plumed

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m considering plumbing my 20g low to include a 10g sump.

I currently have a hob filter, heater, power head, thermometer, air stone, various pvc hideouts, and light with cover.

thoughts

1. I can house the heater, return pump, add a skimmer, and use filter socks instead of fleece cut to form. This will reduce the equipment in the tank and I’d really like to up the filtration for optimal water quality.

2. The addition of a skimmer can eliminate the need of an air stone while increasing the aeration of the water in general.

con- skimmer will not be used or collect during prophylactic/necessary treatment of prazi

3. Additional equipment add ons should be simpler to incorporate.

4. Water changes can be done from the sump, reducing stress on the fish in the main tank.

5. A slight increase in water volume will help maintain consistent parameters.

6. Bio filter media can be added from a sterile or preexisting tank to the sump without taking up precious swimming space.

I always QT before adding new fish. I do not follow a true QT diagram but I do treat copper, prazi, general cure, and medicated foods.

Copper runs for a total of 30 days. If I see a bad fluke issue during the process I’ll also follow the procedures for adding general cure. After the copper treatment I will give the fish a week of rest before starting prazi. The fish tend to spend a lot of time in this tank and it’s one that I have work on almost daily. That being the case, I’d like to simplify some of the maintenance, improve the appearance/functionality, and ultimately increase the quality of life while the fish are in this tank.

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated

Thanks,
Josh

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 10g isn't a ton of real estate. Map out your skimmer, return pump, and socks and see how much room you have left.

Also, I always like to keep a heater in the DT just in case.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

House_of_Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on product dimensions it should all fit. I know that things will change once it goes from 2d to 3d, clearances and such. Good thought on the heater.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back