Quarantine and tank upgrade

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m upgrading from a Red Sea 170 to a Red Sea 1000 tank (just got delivered!) The 170 has a few fish and corals, and I want to quarantine them and future livestocks. My quarantine plan is to follow Jay Hemdal‘a 2023 recommendations for 64 days for fish and 76 days for corals. But I need help with the execution.

So i have two options.

1) I can set up a 75 g quarantine tank for my current fish and more that I plan to get this weekend, so multiple tangs, clownfish, wrasses, etc. They will be all small less than 3in. For corals, I’d go fallow for 76 days in the new tank. But itd suck to have the big tank with only corals inside for a while. So my alternative is…

2) copper and Praziquantel in the new tank with only fish and pvc pipes( no corals, no rocks, no sand) followed by a 100% water change and cuprisorb. I won’t use a protein skimmer but plan to use uv light. And I’d leave the corals in the current tank for 76 days before moving them over. I like this option because I get to enjoy the fish right away. The only worry is using copper in a new tank and not being able to remove it completely before corals go there. But since I’m not using rocks/sand, I don’t have to worry about copper leaching?

Which option would you go in this case?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m upgrading from a Red Sea 170 to a Red Sea 1000 tank (just got delivered!) The 170 has a few fish and corals, and I want to quarantine them and future livestocks. My quarantine plan is to follow Jay Hemdal‘a 2023 recommendations for 64 days for fish and 76 days for corals. But I need help with the execution.

So i have two options.

1) I can set up a 75 g quarantine tank for my current fish and more that I plan to get this weekend, so multiple tangs, clownfish, wrasses, etc. They will be all small less than 3in. For corals, I’d go fallow for 76 days in the new tank. But itd suck to have the big tank with only corals inside for a while. So my alternative is…

2) copper and Praziquantel in the new tank with only fish and pvc pipes( no corals, no rocks, no sand) followed by a 100% water change and cuprisorb. I won’t use a protein skimmer but plan to use uv light. And I’d leave the corals in the current tank for 76 days before moving them over. I like this option because I get to enjoy the fish right away. The only worry is using copper in a new tank and not being able to remove it completely before corals go there. But since I’m not using rocks/sand, I don’t have to worry about copper leaching?

Quarantine would be 30 days
Copper not advised in new tank and may linger in treatment tank

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the 75 g quarantine tank. I realized I might need to do a few 100% water changes, and that’s a lot of water for Red Sea 1000. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So i have two options.

I'd go with option #1, assuming that tank has an established biofilter.

jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back