Quarantine Cleanup

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emptied my quarantine tank and now it's soaking in the bathtub with Bleach (for 10 hours). Everything else that was involved in QT is also soaking in the tub including my HOB filter Sponge and Ammonia Badge.

Oops. Did I do damage to the badge and sponge by soaking them in bleach? Can I re-use them if I rinse them really, really good? Or should I just toss them out and buy new?

Also, how should I clean the fish nets? I know bleach will shred the netting. Would vinegar work? The setup had antibiotics and Prazi in it; no copper or formalin.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops. Did I do damage to the badge and sponge by soaking them in bleach? Can I re-use them if I rinse them really, really good? Or should I just toss them out and buy new?
The sponge should be fine after all the chlorine evaporates out, but the badge is probably ruined. :( I just soak mine in RODI when not in use.

Also, how should I clean the fish nets? I know bleach will shred the netting. Would vinegar work? The setup had antibiotics and Prazi in it; no copper or formalin.

Just rinse those using tap and let air dry for a few days.

OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge should be fine after all the chlorine evaporates out, but the badge is probably ruined. :( I just soak mine in RODI when not in use.

Just rinse those using tap and let air dry for a few days.

I kinda figured that on the badge since it changed its original color from yellow to whitish-yellow. I didn't do it on purpose; it fell off the tank and into the tub. Should rinsing the nets in hot water and vinegar be sufficient? Thanks!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a point of interest . . .

I ran water & vinegar through my QT filter (Aqua-Clear 110) - got busy and left it too long. Grew a magnificent crop of some kind of pillowy white fungus, especially on my old sponge and ceramic rings.

Guess who's gotta buy a new sponge and ceramic rings?! Even bleach didn't make that stuff go away.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Tsp per gallon of regular liquid bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite) for 24 hrs will get the job done.

Hahhaaa I just dumped a whole bunch in. However I wished I had covered my mouth. I got a sore throat today. Raw and red. Cover your mouth if you use bleach! Or maybe it was from the formalin....na, it was the bleach. I'll say it again, COVER YOUR MOUTH!

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahhaaa I just dumped a whole bunch in. However I wished I had covered my mouth. I got a sore throat today. Raw and red. Cover your mouth if you use bleach! Or maybe it was from the formalin....na, it was the bleach. I'll say it again, COVER YOUR MOUTH!
Ha...I'm happy I asked first! 1 tsp was not going to be my first guess.

OP
OP
Empress

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Empress You OK? Haven't seen you post since the bleach incident... :oops:

Oh I'm here! I had a little fall on some black ice and whacked the back of my head and popped my lower back. It hurts, but I'll survive.

My QT is all squeaky clean and ready for my next additions which will be corals instead of fish; reason being it's too cold out (even if they do come in warm packs), and secondly I want to make sure the bacterial infection doesn't come back and the black ich doesn't come back.

By the way, thank you for your advice to treat them in formalin (Quick Cure). It worked like a charm. The Sailfin and the Foxface look so healthy now I can't believe it. They're back in the DT and loving life. So right now everything in my DT is perfect and cross my fingers it stays that way. That's why I want to wait until spring to add more fish.

My goal now is to let the QT settle for a couple of weeks to pass the ammonia test, then I'll order some corals and more cuc. They can all go together in the same QT. 76 days. Feed every few days. Easy breezy.

I do have one quick question tho: does Chaeto need to be QT'd?

Oh, and thanks for checking on me. Means a lot. [emoji4]

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one quick question tho: does Chaeto need to be QT'd?

Tomonts won't attach to it, but I'd still put it in a bucket for 48 hours to starve out any lingering theronts/dinospores.

Wow, sounds like you've had it rough lately. Take it easy!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm here! I had a little fall on some black ice and whacked the back of my head and popped my lower back. It hurts, but I'll survive.

Oh man! I hope you feel better soon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back