Quarantine Experience with Blue Star Leopard Wrasses

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE - DAY 39 FINAL!! = SUCCESS IN DT!!

All 3 Leopards survived QT with 2 doses of Prazipro plus the black Molly observation for other diseases for 2-1/2 weeks. All 3 BLUE STARS are thriving in the Display tank and swim together to some extent. Getting along with all other fish as well and my sand already appears cleaner from them burying themselves at night.

This was a fun and challenging adventure. These Blue Stars May be the best looking 3 fish in my tank!!

78740E9E-A7AB-4CC9-99DA-D898F10E4CF9.jpeg
893F16F2-CAE7-4951-87E0-0CAEC0F94DA2.jpeg
Feed well do well

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue star is the best looking of the leopards IMO. I had a trio of females. One transitioned to a male and a second female vanished. Still have the male and other female.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread, because everything I thought I knew has changed. I was under impression that leapords don't handle cooper. and other medications. And that they are far better going right into DT. I thought since they had a better slim coat since they buried themselves, help them form diseaseses?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are generally not susceptible to skin parasites, so prophylactic treatment isn’t really necessary. I’ve never treated any of the dozens I’ve kept. Internal parasites and competitive feeding are much more problematic.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread, because everything I thought I knew has changed. I was under impression that leapords don't handle cooper. and other medications. And that they are far better going right into DT. I thought since they had a better slim coat since they buried themselves, help them form diseaseses?

I didn’t use copper. The black Molly trick will be something I use moving forward with all future wrasse fish. I treated for internal parasites and used Prazipro and food soaked General cure but when it came to copper knowing I could convert a freshwater Molly to saltwater to see if they were carrying ich, velvet or something else was a no brainer!

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue star is the best looking of the leopards IMO. I had a trio of females. One transitioned to a male and a second female vanished. Still have the male and other female.
How long have you had them? Also, how long did it take for the female to transition to male?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had them almost five years. They swam around as three females for about four years and then literally overnight one made the switch.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 months in the tank and still none of the females transitioning to male. Anyone out there have a guess when that will happen?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
5 months in the tank and still none of the females transitioning to male. Anyone out there have a guess when that will happen?
thats a awesome post man.

i will do the same with my leopard from liveaquaria.

i dont know if i will get mollys i havent seen them at the LFS

when they transitioned to male, what happened? they changed the color?

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a awesome post man.

i will do the same with my leopard from liveaquaria.

i dont know if i will get mollys i havent seen them at the LFS

when they transitioned to male, what happened? they changed the color?
Thank you! So you actually get the block Molly’s from a big box store like Petsmart, pet supplies plus, etc. Then you convert them from freshwater to saltwater over the course of 3-5 hours not as difficult as it sounds (just a drip line).

My 3 females have all remained female for the time being. The most dominant will eventually go male and will become way bigger and change to Greenish/Blue color. I’m pumped for the day that happens and will update on this post!

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating an old thread. So two females turned male many months ago. The stronger male killed the other & now I have 1 male & 1 female that have been stable and happy for over 1-1/2 years!!

Attachments

• 476B00E9-61D4-4759-9EC5-9F77379270E5.png
    476B00E9-61D4-4759-9EC5-9F77379270E5.png
    1 MB · Views: 31

7h0m4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the updates. I been researching and thinking about getting 3 as well with same qt process like yours.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back