Quarantine for locally sourced puffer/burr fish

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we just had a locally caught Tampa Bay puffer dropped off at our house. Photo attached - please note that we're not the ones who took the photo and handled this cutie.

We have a quarantine system set up, but we're heading on vacation in a week. I don't want to start any complicated treatments before we leave, and we very well may try to see if someone else can take him given our travel plans. What's the currently recommended quarantine plan for puffers/burr fish? From what I've read, parasites can be a big issue for these guys. I should have most of everything I need on hand. I just don't want to mess it up for this guy.

Thanks!

fish.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who can feed him in your QT? Then start meds when you get back?

Those guys are why I don't saltwater fish. Every time we go out on the intercoastal here in Jacksonville I catch one. Each time two things cross my mind.

1. Dang it, I am sorry fellow.

2. Can I keep him maw?

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone who can feed him in your QT? Then start meds when you get back?

Those guys are why I don't saltwater fish. Every time we go out on the intercoastal here in Jacksonville I catch one. Each time two things cross my mind.

1. Dang it, I am sorry fellow.

2. Can I keep him maw?
That's how we ended up with him. The lady who caught him takes care of our dogs and has seen our tank. Her son wanted to keep him until they got back to the dock. We could probably wait to start any treatments until we get back.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how we ended up with him. The lady who caught him takes care of our dogs and has seen our tank. Her son wanted to keep him until they got back to the dock. We could probably wait to start any treatments until we get back.
Maybe offer to teach the kid about reefing if the family is ok with it and willing to start by feeding that little man a couple of krill a day while you are gone.

He's a good looking guy too!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, we just had a locally caught Tampa Bay puffer dropped off at our house. Photo attached - please note that we're not the ones who took the photo and handled this cutie.

We have a quarantine system set up, but we're heading on vacation in a week. I don't want to start any complicated treatments before we leave, and we very well may try to see if someone else can take him given our travel plans. What's the currently recommended quarantine plan for puffers/burr fish? From what I've read, parasites can be a big issue for these guys. I should have most of everything I need on hand. I just don't want to mess it up for this guy.

Thanks!

fish.jpg
Removing from the wild and trying to acclimate it before being gone may not be a good choice as you want to be able to observe it. In quarantine, you can test the water it came from and try to match salinity and temperature. They dont quarantine copper well and alternatives are either using general cure or running hyposalinity at 1.009 but being just removed from ocean- Not sure how thrilled it will be with hyposalinity. First thing is getting this fish to eat and assure it eats. if not- I would get it back into the ocean

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species, being a "bay fish" can handle hyposalinity very well. However, these can sometimes be tricky to get started feeding - you might have to start it with live shrimp or small crabs.

I would wait until after the weekend before starting a quarantine process.

Jay

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species, being a "bay fish" can handle hyposalinity very well. However, these can sometimes be tricky to get started feeding - you might have to start it with live shrimp or small crabs.

I would wait until after the weekend before starting a quarantine process.

Jay
Thanks. I was planning on running out in the morning to pick up some live shrimp. Acclimating right now to our water, matching the temp and salinity of the water it came in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back