Quarantining inverts for new tank questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rooles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rooles

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2025
Messages
376
Reaction score
192
Location
Usa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I am currently in the process of dark curing some previously live rock for a 32.5gallon reef tank. I have an idea and want to get oppinions on it.

Would it be okay to quaranteen a cleanup crew in my display tank after the rock has cycled? I wouldnt add any fish for 3-4 months. I dont know what risks id take doing this. The cleanup crew would consist of:
23 dwarf ceriths
8 nassarius vibex
9 Florida ceriths
7 nerites
8 astreas
Also should i consider other cuc members? Maybe pods?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
It’s a pretty big CUC for a 32g with no fish. So you’ll probably need to provide some nutrients that could support some algae growth for them to eat. I’d probably add some fish food, not so much that you have a big algae outbreak, but enough that there’s residue on the glass and rocks for the CUC to eat. For reference, in a 40G with one fish I feed about a cube of frozen food per day and it supports the fish, 2 trochus snails and two hermit crabs with nutrients stable and no visible algae. (Pretty new tank)
 
It’s a pretty big CUC for a 32g with no fish. So you’ll probably need to provide some nutrients that could support some algae growth for them to eat. I’d probably add some fish food, not so much that you have a big algae outbreak, but enough that there’s residue on the glass and rocks for the CUC to eat. For reference, in a 40G with one fish I feed about a cube of frozen food per day and it supports the fish, 2 trochus snails and two hermit crabs with nutrients stable and no visible algae. (Pretty new tank)
okay good deal. I am going to move the rock into the display and let it run with lights on while continuing to ghost feed. Once I see algae ill order the CUC and put them in!

Are there any other inverts i should/could add at this time? Id like some sort of crab too, perhaps an emerald or ruby mithrax. Would adding pods at this time be a good idea too?
 
I love watching my hermit crabs, definitely recommend a couple of those. Personally I’ve been holding off on pods until I get my refugium set up…but won’t start that until I have a need for nutrient export. But I’m no expert on pods so perhaps somebody else will chime in.
 
I love watching my hermit crabs, definitely recommend a couple of those. Personally I’ve been holding off on pods until I get my refugium set up…but won’t start that until I have a need for nutrient export. But I’m no expert on pods so perhaps somebody else will chime in.
I'm a bit worried the crabs are going to start killing off snails. I would enjoy watching them though.
 
Yeah, I’ve so far stuck with snails that can flip themselves over and no problems. Had to shoot my blue legged hermit crab with the turkey baster once when he tried to go after my Halloween hermit crab though 😅
 
Yeah, I’ve so far stuck with snails that can flip themselves over and no problems. Had to shoot my blue legged hermit crab with the turkey baster once when he tried to go after my Halloween hermit crab though 😅
🤣 I think I'm gonna hold off on them until I get a better feel for thing. Thanks for all of your help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new