Question about adding chaeto while tank is still cycling.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

My 40B is still cycling since last week. On monday I added Dr. Tims one and only and I finally saw nitrite yesterday.

Last Thursday I bought chaeto from algaebarn on impulse while they have them in stock!!! and while on their website, I added 5280 cope pods too.
Shipped on monday and they should be coming today. but I am skeptical with USPS. I think it will be delayed another day. so hopefully the pods survives. (another issue would keeping them alive to wait until my tank is cycled)

I reached out to algaebarn and they advised me that I can add the chaeto right away cause it can help with the ammonia issue. so my question is should I?

I am afraid that the chaeto will suck it in and that wont help the nitrification bacteria to grow.

I tried to search but comes up nothing in this forum.

Will adding chaeto during cycling help or not?

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually have the same question.

I too ordered from algae barn.
Their website says that you can add bioblocks and bacteria on day 1. Then it says to add chaeto, copepods, and phytoplankton in week 2 of cycle. I am also worried that the "cycle" may have adverse effects on the chaeto or copepods.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i actually have the same question.

I too ordered from algae barn.
Their website says that you can add bioblocks and bacteria on day 1. Then it says to add chaeto, copepods, and phytoplankton in week 2 of cycle. I am also worried that the "cycle" may have adverse effects on the chaeto or copepods.

Exactly what I thought too. I didnt buy their starter pack for that same reason that I am sure cycle wont be done in a week... but here I am buying on impulse because their chaeto was "in stock"

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my thinking here is that Ammonia and Nitrite don't harm Chaeto. However if "feeds" on Nitrate, so it won't grow and obviously remove nitrates until some are present. I also think that neither ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate affect copepods because they are so hardy. Therefore I think it would be ok to add these to our tanks during the cycle.

I will ofcourse defer to someone that actually knows :)

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my thinking here is that Ammonia and Nitrite don't harm Chaeto. However if "feeds" on Nitrate, so it won't grow and obviously remove nitrates until some are present. I also think that neither ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate affect copepods because they are so hardy. Therefore I think it would be ok to add these to our tanks during the cycle.

I will ofcourse defer to someone that actually knows :)

Algaebarn told me to keep the pods in the container and just add the phyto everyday until my tank is cycled. It doesnt need to be in the fridge. room temp would suffice.
I am skeptical about that too... My room temp is around 75ish. so wont that kill them..
for extra safety. I can put air line to the water without the air stone

Robinreefs94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you've opened the package then the usual recommendations on phytos is to have them in the fridge.

About the chaeto, it will not grow but rather recede with no available nutrients in the water column.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you've opened the package then the usual recommendations on phytos is to have them in the fridge.

About the chaeto, it will not grow but rather recede with no available nutrients in the water column.

Oh yeah, the phyto need to be in the fridge. They said the pods dont need to be.

About the chaeto, if I don't add them directly, how long will they survive in the bottle? and how would I keep them alive then? I dont think I can add water from my FW tanks.. they have nitrates...

Robinreefs94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't think living pods would be so happy about the fridge, but that maybe depends on which species of pods. I usually re-populate my systems with copepods every now and then and they get in to the tank right away as they arrive.

They will probably start to suffer after 3 days as most photosyntetic life without enough lightning (if you don't put the bottle by the window ofc), but how long they will hold on within the bottle itself would just be guessing. You can add them to the refugium but be ready to loose them if you don't have enough nutrition. I've just started a new system myself and I'm waiting to start the refugium. 2 months in soon and only 0,02 in nitrate so therefore I've started to add nitrates to my system just for the sake of my corals.

Do you have live rock or dead rock in the system?

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bottle have an "best before" date on it? I just received coralline algae from AB and the bottle is dated.

Robinreefs94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bottle have an "best before" date on it? I just received coralline algae from AB and the bottle is dated.

If they've added nutrition to the water then maybe it could be able to live longer, but it usually does'nt get enough light within a bottle if you don't put it by a window. I don't know how you do in the states but here in EU we get a piece of chaeto in a small plastic container/ bag with a little splash of water to it.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't think living pods would be so happy about the fridge, but that maybe depends on which species of pods. I usually re-populate my systems with copepods every now and then and they get in to the tank right away as they arrive.

They will probably start to suffer after 3 days as most photosyntetic life without enough lightning (if you don't put the bottle by the window ofc), but how long they will hold on within the bottle itself would just be guessing. You can add them to the refugium but be ready to loose them if you don't have enough nutrition. I've just started a new system myself and I'm waiting to start the refugium. 2 months in soon and only 0,02 in nitrate so therefore I've started to add nitrates to my system just for the sake of my corals.

Do you have live rock or dead rock in the system?

Dead dry rock. Yeah. Unfortunately, I will have to gamble with the pods in the bottle and feeding them phyto until my tank is cycled.
At this point, I might have just cut my loses and try to sell my pods locally for cheap.

Regarding the chaeto, I would think it will survive if I just throw them in.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of their stuff has a "use by date" printed right on the bottle. Don't know if it would also be on the chaeto jars.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. my orders should have come today. But of course USPS decided to keep it another day.
We will see tomorrow if the pods and chaeto survives in these heats...

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait before adding pods/Chaeto as it needs NO3 & light to grow or else will die...no need to rush and spend $/adding things that are not necessary during cycle.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait before adding pods/Chaeto as it needs NO3 & light to grow or else will die...no need to rush and spend $/adding things that are not necessary during cycle.

Thats somewhat my plan. We'll see if they come today though. Not looking promising from the tracking.
I will try to keep them alive for a week and hope that my tank is cycled by then

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.. there goes my pods... USPS didn't deliver again today... This is a 2-3 days priority shipping... I will have to call/submit a claim to Algaebarn. Not their fault but unfortunately I am not optimistic that the pods will be alive at this point.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15956890419128417619866472708108.jpg
15956890848332431559935648733418.jpg

They finally came. I think they looked ok.
The chaeto has some brown stuff on them. I am not sure what they are. They are not moving fortunately.
I do see some pods swimming and some dead on the bottom but not lots.
Now.. how to keep them alive...

No date on the chaeto. Date on the pods. 8/16/2020

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back