Question about becoming a mature tank

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i need fish for a tank to become established ?
No, but it helps. The byproducts of fish respiration and digestion feed your bacterial cycle, which in turn increases the bioavailable nutrients in the tank for coral uptake.

You'll find it easier to grow and maintain corals with a healthy and sane fish bioload, but this doesn't mean that it's impossible for a tank to mature in their absence.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but it helps. The byproducts of fish respiration and digestion feed your bacterial cycle, which in turn increases the bioavailable nutrients in the tank for coral uptake.

You'll find it easier to grow and maintain corals with a healthy and sane fish bioload, but this doesn't mean that it's impossible for a tank to mature in their absence.
i will look into getting 1 fish then

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don't, but it may take longer to mature. I left my 10 gallon bedroom budget build fishless for about 8 months after the first fish passed and it has still matured nicely. I did use some water/media from my older, mature main display tank though which I'm sure helped.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not want fish in this tank
I don’t believe you need fish in the tank if maturity is your goal.

I do believe that “maturity” is an overrated term with no real consensus as to what defines it.

As long as you are feeding something to your tank (amino acids, nitrogen, phosphate) and your nutrients don’t completely bottom out, then I’m not sure how one little fish can make a tank “mature.”

If only “maturity” was that easy. :)

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don't, but it may take longer to mature. I left my 10 gallon bedroom budget build fishless for about 8 months after the first fish passed and it has still matured nicely. I did use some water/media from my older, mature main display tank though which I'm sure helped.

I don’t believe you need fish in the tank if maturity is your goal.

I do believe that “maturity” is an overrated term with no real consensus as to what defines it.

As long as you are feeding something to your tank (amino acids, nitrogen, phosphate) and your nutrients don’t completely bottom out, then I’m not sure how one little fish can make a tank “mature.”

If only “maturity” was that easy. :)
well phosphates are 0.1-0.2 i have 1 coral in the tank going to get some red sea reef energy or whatever its called i have reefroids but i don't want my phosphates getting higher nitrates are like 42ppm but not sure how true that is as it could be nitrite

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pellets every day could replace a fish fairly easily.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well phosphates are 0.1-0.2 i have 1 coral in the tank going to get some red sea reef energy or whatever its called i have reefroids but i don't want my phosphates getting higher nitrates are like 42ppm but not sure how true that is as it could be nitrite
You only need reef energy in ULNS tanks.

With your params you just need light to provide energy for coral.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back