Question about Biocube 29

Melissa96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and to having a salt water thank. Currently I have the 29 gallon coralife Biocube that is running with all stock equipment. I have done a lot of research and decided I wanted to remove the bio balls and turn the middle compartment into a refugium of some sort. I have my heater in the first chamber and an eshopps nano protein skimmer in the third chamber where the pump is. My idea for the middle chamber is to remove filter pad and bio balls, remove the top and bottom shelves, place my filter medias such as purigen, chemi pure elite, and a phosphate remover on the "floor" of the middle chamber and then rest the bottom shelf over the medias, add two eshopps large square foam pads up against the wall where the water flows in from. With the remaining room next to the two foams I would like to add a bag of crushed live rock. On top of the bag I would then like to add some chaeto macro algae and a small light stuck on with velcro to the back of the tank for the chaeto..my question is...is this alright to do? Can the chaeto be in the same compartment as the foam pads? In case I was confusing, I will.post the sketch of my idea, I hope someone can help me with this. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1424108507407.jpg
    1424108507407.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 600

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see a problem with that approach, the macro will be sharing the same water column.

placement of pads/ordering may affect detritus collection but that too doesnt matter much to me since these areas need to be taken down and cleaned like any other aspect of the tank. there is no conversion that prevents us having to export literal whole waste that accumulates in the tank. refugium, no refugium, sandbed/no sandbed/skimmer or no skimmer periodically you need to take things down and siphon/wash it out well.

Welcome thanks for your first post informative and good planning!
B

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. IMO I'd skip the coral rubble. I'll give you a bump since I'm sure there's others that know more about the Corallife biocube.

IdahoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Mellisa! Welcome to the Biocube club lol! I have the Coralife 29 as well and this is what I've done...well, here is a pic or two. If your facing the front of the tank, I'll work from right to left. Starting on the right, where the main pump is, I have my pump, the inline UV Sterilizer, and my Hydor ATO Sensor, with return water tube. Center. I removed all the bioballs, this is where my heater is, as well as purchasing the InTank media basket and inserted a filter floss sponge in the top, Puregin Pouch in the center, and Chemipure bag in the bottom. In the left chamber, I have the inexpensive but well working, coralife skimmer. My tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks now and so far I love it! Good luck with your cube!

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 572

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the intank media basket as mentioned above. It will allow more water flow directed through the purigen and the chemipure.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back