Question about bounce shrooms...

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought a bounce from my lfs and I can't get the darn thing to grow the bubbles. I understand you need patience but I'm excited and I paid a bit...So I'm hoping I didn't get ripped off. I have 2 ai prime on the im40 and it's about halfway under water.

This is the current schedule that I'm using. Any input would be very helpful!

Screenshot_20180314-142217.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is it and is it currently spread out or sort of shriveled up?

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty big, about 3 inches across right now. Here's a pictures.
20180314_142800.jpg

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also a baby one about an inch behind it on the same rock

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just need some time, it has some really bright colored vesicles like a bounce would have but you're right in that they're aren't as bouncy as you would expect. It's the right type of mushroom so you didn't get scammed in that aspect but I can see how you would be concerned.

#reefsquad, any tips on getting his bounce shroom to balloon out?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the mushroom have big bubbles when you bought it, or has it always looked like that?

It is a rhodactis, but that doesn't mean much. Real bounce mushrooms wouldn't cost much is more than a very small percept develop inflated vesicles. The mushroom in the picture looks like it has "potential", but certainly does not have bubbles at present time.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started to have some when it was there. Like they faded under their lighting, as it can't be intense lighting at their store so not to melt their corals...but they only had 2 and the other one was sold a week before I bought it and his had bubbles the next day.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started to have some when it was there. Like they faded under their lighting, as it can't be intense lighting at their store so not to melt their corals...but they only had 2 and the other one was sold a week before I bought it and his had bubbles the next day.
If I understand this correctly you bought the mushroom looking the same way as it does in your picture? So it did not have bubbles, but a second mushroom got bubbles in a different guys tank? Is that correct?

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this does not necessarily look like a bounce mushroom, just a rhodactis with the potential to bounce, this guy is going to take a lot of time to bounce

I read somewhere that a bounce mushroom develops their bubbles due to the 'intensity' of light hitting it, the body wants to protect its self to it develops bubbles to take in the intensity of the light... idunno

anyways I guess try more light, dont know where the mushroom is located in your tank but I'd probably say keep it higher than than a normal shroom and have light hitting it at all times, no shadowing.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct it didn't have any when I bought it, looked like this.

It is on my highest rock and straight under the light. So it's getting it all.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow with giving it more light. The last thing you want to do is fry the mushroom. No one knows why certain mushrooms get swollen vesicles and why others do not. I have read about increased light and LED lights and all of that, but I see mushroom rocks that look like the above coming out of Indonesia from the ocean some with bubble others without. I see those bounce potential mushrooms often enough and usually not for much money so I hope that you didn't pay a bunch for it. You might also consider getting your nitrates up high as well. Mushrooms like dirty water from my experience saving melting ones.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm acclimating it over a month. Also my nitrates are at less than 5 last I tested. But thanks for all the help, I'll go slowly and give an update when it happens.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that Yuma will get big bubbles in high nitrate tanks. I've seen designer named bounces in low nutrient and high nutrient tanks that look the same, but have seen non bubble mushrooms bubble in high nitrate systems.

Jessica_canuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not a bounce, looks like regular rhoadctis. could or could not be a bounce. I think you got fleeced :(

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, but it's starting to get these tiny bubbles here and there...
20180318_151632.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back