Need some advice about my jawbreaker mushroom

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi. I have a 90 gallon mixed reef that is 3 years old and I need some advice about why my jawbreaker mushroom is the only thing that won't grow and look upset. I have had it for over 2 years. I had 2 but one died. I grow all kinds of bounce mushrooms and ricordia and they all thrive. I can't get jawbreaker to look healthy. Can anyone give me some advice. First picture is jawbreaker second is a few of my bounce mushrooms. I would appreciate any advice My Parameters are

Alk7.9- 8.4
Calcium 400-460
Nitrate 3 -7
Phosphate 0.03 - 0.12
Magnesium aprox 1300
My last triton test came back with low iodine so I'm in process of increasing. I have EcoTech radion xr15 g6 I have set at max 72% is that to high?

20231003_193903.jpg 20231003_193921.jpg

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate. I have a Neptune bounce that won’t die but won’t grow and doesn’t look healthy. I’ve tried moving it all over the tank months apart but it never improves. I have other mushrooms that do just fine though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 90 gallon mixed reef that is 3 years old and I need some advice about why my jawbreaker mushroom is the only thing that won't grow and look upset. I have had it for over 2 years. I had 2 but one died. I grow all kinds of bounce mushrooms and ricordia and they all thrive. I can't get jawbreaker to look healthy. Can anyone give me some advice. First picture is jawbreaker second is a few of my bounce mushrooms. I would appreciate any advice My Parameters are

Alk7.9- 8.4
Calcium 400-460
Nitrate 3 -7
Phosphate 0.03 - 0.12
Magnesium aprox 1300
My last triton test came back with low iodine so I'm in process of increasing. I have EcoTech radion xr15 g6 I have set at max 72% is that to high?

20231003_193903.jpg 20231003_193921.jpg
It's starving. Nitrates especially are much too low for soft coral

OP
OP
Robert Ranciato

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can relate. I have a Neptune bounce that won’t die but won’t grow and doesn’t look healthy. I’ve tried moving it all over the tank months apart but it never improves. I have other mushrooms that do just fine though.
It's so frustrating. I have also tried moving it many times.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What number should I try to bring my nitrates up to? I have Brightwell Neonitrate. I do add some but only after I test .
I'll let you do your own research about the needs of your corals. Often we have to balance the needs of many different types, so I can't give you an exact number that will work for your tank.

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let you do your own research about the needs of your corals. Often we have to balance the needs of many different types, so I can't give you an exact number that will work for your tank.
Uhm if you're saying 3-7 is too low but cannot give a number when he asked then how's it too low? It's not that I disagree with you either. It just sounds confusing.
What number should I try to bring my nitrates up to? I have Brightwell Neonitrate. I do add some but only after I test .
try 10ppm -15ppm. That range supports the majority of corals and tanks.

Also .03 ppm po4 is really on the low side. With hobby grade test kits margin for error you could almost be banging 000 which is never something you want to do or get close to. Corals must have nutrients to live. They're the basic building blocks of life.

And lastly you ask if 72% is too much light. Without knowing how deep the tank is, how high off the water the light is, do you have a diffuser on it, how clear or yellow and how much suspended particles are in the water it's impossible to say. People can guess but that's not something you want to base your corals health on. My suggestion would be to see if a local has a par meter they can help you use on the tank, let you borrow one, or just rent one. Your animals health should be your #1 priority and getting the lights right plays a major factor in that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm if you're saying 3-7 is too low but cannot give a number when he asked then how's it too low? It's not that I disagree with you either. It just sounds confusing.
Nitrate of 3 is too low for almost any coral, let alone a softie. And I can't give an exact number because I don't know what he has in his tank. A good guide is: If it's all soft coral then aim for 20+ (up to 50 is fine). LPS- 15+ (up to 50). Picky SPS- 10-15 tops. And depending on the mixture of coral in the tank, he'll need to research to see what the ideal range is for them and try to balance everything out.

Make it any less confusing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back