Question about candy cane pistol shrimp

Danyole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Candy Cane pistol shrimp for my 15g tank a couple weeks ago and my LFS didn't have any of the smaller shrimp gobies so I said i'd just get one the next time I stopped by. In these 2 weeks I haven't seen the pistol shrimp at all. It originally dug a tunnel under one rock and i've seen the tunnel expand to the other side of the same rock and also some other entrances but I haven't seen the actual shrimp at all but i'm hearing the popping sound everyday. If I get it a goby friend will it come out more? I was really excited because i've read about how the shrimp and goby will go on walks around the tank

If it really won't change how much the shrimp comes out I would likely just opt for a more active fish like a tailspot blenny

What are your experiences?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming there’s no predators to eat it, I wouldn’t build a tank without a shrimp goby pair. They don’t always show themselves, but when they do it’s always a treat. Generally you do see more of them when the goby is present, but it also helps if they burrow somewhere you can see them (my pistol picked the front of the tank).

OP
OP
Danyole

Danyole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm mine picked a pretty bad spot but I wanna see the sand walks!! Are hermit crabs considered predators? I got some as part of a suggested clean up crew and one is kind of big and aggressive but I wouldn't mind tossing it into my quarantine. My other issue is I impulse bought a citron clown goby and the hi-fin red banded goby I want looks pretty small. The clown goby hasn't shown any aggression even being the first fish added to the tank

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair that made their way around the tank, but the pistol shrimp ended up eating some hermits that got too close to their hole. Then ended up killing his goby. Don’t know why, I fed heavy. Nature vs nurture I guess. Nature won

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes you will see the shrimp a lot more often if it is paired with a goby. Pairing up can take some time but usually happens within a week. Good luck.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair that made their way around the tank, but the pistol shrimp ended up eating some hermits that got too close to their hole. Then ended up killing his goby. Don’t know why, I fed heavy. Nature vs nurture I guess. Nature won
Maybe it was sick ? At least that’s what I hope…

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it was the wrong species of shrimp? More than likely the goby died in the hole and then the shrimp decided to eat it. I’ve never ever experienced or heard of the correct species of shrimp ever eating it’s goby.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Candy Cane pistol shrimp for my 15g tank a couple weeks ago and my LFS didn't have any of the smaller shrimp gobies so I said i'd just get one the next time I stopped by. In these 2 weeks I haven't seen the pistol shrimp at all. It originally dug a tunnel under one rock and i've seen the tunnel expand to the other side of the same rock and also some other entrances but I haven't seen the actual shrimp at all but i'm hearing the popping sound everyday. If I get it a goby friend will it come out more? I was really excited because i've read about how the shrimp and goby will go on walks around the tank

If it really won't change how much the shrimp comes out I would likely just opt for a more active fish like a tailspot blenny

I wouldn't count on seeing much more than the very front of the shrimp when it grabs food or moves sand out of its cave. I never saw mine just roaming around the tank.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count on seeing much more than the very front of the shrimp when it grabs food or moves sand out of its cave. I never saw mine just roaming around the tank.
Same here. I doesn’t leave it’s cave, only shovels sand out of it and a little bit around it.

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I doesn’t leave it’s cave, only shovels sand out of it and a little bit around it.

Same here too. Mine dug out nearly all the sand under the rocks and I occasionally see it's antenna poking from one of the cave holes. The sand is always shifting though so I know he's still kicking around lol

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen either of my two roaming the tank. I'll see them venture a couple inches from their burrow, but will scurry away quickly if something spooks them.

You'll definitely see it more often with a goby though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here too. Mine dug out nearly all the sand under the rocks and I occasionally see it's antenna poking from one of the cave holes. The sand is always shifting though so I know he's still kicking around lol
The 90 gallon tank I recently upgraded from didn't have a full stand top, so I could stick my head inside the stand and see trails on the bottom of the tank...

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perhaps it was the wrong species of shrimp? More than likely the goby died in the hole and then the shrimp decided to eat it. I’ve never ever experienced or heard of the correct species of shrimp ever eating it’s goby.
Goby was healthy and fat the night I last saw it. When I broke the tank down to move and lifted the rock where the shrimp was there were a couple of fish remains down in it. Proof in the pudding…
We can disagree, thats ok.
Have a great weekend!

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby was healthy and fat the night I last saw it. When I broke the tank down to move and lifted the rock where the shrimp was there were a couple of fish remains down in it. Proof in the pudding…
We can disagree, thats ok.
Have a great weekend!
I’m happy to disagree with you here.

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my larger tank (Red Sea 425XL) I have a mated pair of pistol shrimp that I bought with a small yellow watchman goby nearly a year ago. They are all huge now and so incredibly cool! They change locations regularly in the tank with a network of caves and they are constantly altering the landscape. They are visible throughout the day, and yes they often go “on walks” around the tank excavating, with the goby always by their side. They are fantastic and among my favorite tank inhabitants. The only negative is your landscape is constantly being rebuilt, with sand piling up at times on the live rock.

As an aside, we love the little guys so much we got 2 pistol shrimp for our smaller tank and placed a Randall Goby with them. I watched them intently after I added him and within 15 minutes they paired and it was fantastic to see how they do it! The goby within minutes of being added headed to the section of the tank where the shrimp were (I’d love to know how he knew they were there??), then got really still as he saw the first shrimp excavating. Oddly, the shrimp then sat still. Given the shrimp have very poor eyesight I don’t know if there is a chemical signature that either release so they know the other is in the vicinity. Anyway the goby then slowly hopped toward the shrimp while the shrimp sat completely still out in the open (never retreating into its cave) and when the goby was within about 3 inches it “popped” it’s body and fin and the shrimp rushed into its cave with the goby immediately behind it. From that moment on they were paired. It was fantastic to see!

In the smaller tank the 2 pistol shrimp were not paired when we added them but paired nearly immediately, then we added the goby. Anyway, I highly recommend a trio (2 pistol shrimp with one goby) as both tanks just seem more natural with these cool little guys.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll definitely see the pistol more if you add a goby. They'll do this cool behavior where the goby sits right at a burrow entrance, and the shrimp comes out of the burrow with one antenna on the goby at all times. If the goby sees danger, it'll flick its tail and they'll both dart into the burrow.

OP
OP
Danyole

Danyole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS only had bonded pairs for sale sadly. Didn't know you could have multiple pistol shrimp together though or I would have picked up a pair. My LFS had bonded pairs of Wheelers gobys and a type of pistol I wasn't familiar with.. it was translucent with a single stripe across the body

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You generally shouldn't combine pistol shrimp unless it's quite a large tank. They'll fight. A 15gal should definitely only have one.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back