Question about cycling

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. Just have a quick question. A few weeks ago I dosed my aquarium with beneficial bacteria. Not much seemed to happen within a couple weeks I did research and determined lack of ammonia slowing the cycle. I dosed with ammonia, a bit more than I meant to, 8ppm. But within a couple days it was down to 2ppm and today it's .5ppm. My nitrates are 5ppm and nitrites 2ppm. Does it seem like it's cycling well? And, will changing my filter floss upset the bio load? That's all I'm using for filtration right now. I also have bioballs and ceramic cylinders. My tank is 20 gallons with live rock and sand. There are some diatoms, a little hair algae and what might be corraline algae. Thank you!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks. Just have a quick question. A few weeks ago I dosed my aquarium with beneficial bacteria. Not much seemed to happen within a couple weeks I did research and determined lack of ammonia slowing the cycle. I dosed with ammonia, a bit more than I meant to, 8ppm. But within a couple days it was down to 2ppm and today it's .5ppm. My nitrates are 5ppm and nitrites 2ppm. Does it seem like it's cycling well? And, will changing my filter floss upset the bio load? That's all I'm using for filtration right now. I also have bioballs and ceramic cylinders. My tank is 20 gallons with live rock and sand. There are some diatoms, a little hair algae and what might be corraline algae. Thank you!
If you have live rock, you really don’t have to do anything. The beneficial bacteria might have been a waste of money but no other downsides. When the ammonia is zero or close to it you are done. By the way the nitrate measurement in the presence of nitrite is meaningless. The live rock will take care of your nitrites shortly. Clean your filter floss as often as you want. The bacteria are on the live rock and soon will be all over the aquarium.

Good luck and enjoy the new aquarium.

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I may not have needed the bacteria, I really think the problem was more no ammonia to feed the cycle. But I'd had my water tested at a fish shop after a few months of just an empty tank with live rock and sand, and it wasn't ready apparently and that's what they said I needed. But even after adding it not much was happening, some change in color in the live rock and what might be coralline algae, along with some diatoms. After adding the ammonia it's looking more alive and the rocks have changed a lot. Anyway thank you for your info, I'm glad I'll be able to get some snails and shrimp soon!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back