Question about cycling.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start running my saltwater 40g breeder just working to build the sump but I was reading about QT first and I don't want to make a big mistake of not QT.
I have two 10g that I'm not using. Also have about 15lbs of dry rock from Billy's Reef . Will be better to start cycling the 10g for QT now or wait until I cycle the 40g and then make the QT tank?
Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start running my saltwater 40g breeder just working to build the sump but I was reading about QT first and I don't want to make a big mistake of not QT.
I have two 10g that I'm not using. Also have about 15lbs of dry rock from Billy's Reef . Will be better to start cycling the 10g for QT now or wait until I cycle the 40g and then make the QT tank?
Thanks
Yes, cycle the qt tank now, because the fish are going to be in there for a good couple of weeks. And while the fish are in the cycled qt tank you can cycle your display tank.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest

In all seriousness, I would go ahead and start cycling the QT a couple of weeks before you intend to get fish :) Having the 40 going at the same time will let you figure out how the whole thing works and you can work out any issues you might have before getting too far along.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, cycle the qt tank now, because the fish are going to be in there for a good couple of weeks. And while the fish are in the cycled qt tank you can cycle your display tank.
Great, thanks. How many pounds of rock will be enough for the 10g? I have a AC70 as a HOB filter and couple of wave makers.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest

In all seriousness, I would go ahead and start cycling the QT a couple of weeks before you intend to get fish :) Having the 40 going at the same time will let you figure out how the whole thing works and you can work out any issues you might have before getting too far along.
Thanks..

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning to prophylacticly treat your fish while in QT I would not put any rock in the QT tank. The rock will absorb your medicine. Copper or whatever you decide to use. QT is very debated topic, I personally QT all my fishes. Besides couple of PVC pieces I run my QT tank bare bottom with no rocks. Also, use a Seachem Ammonia Alert in your QT so you can monitor your ammonia. If you can run a seeded sponge in your tank that will help you with your biological filter as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks. How many pounds of rock will be enough for the 10g? I have a AC70 as a HOB filter and couple of wave makers.
Honestly, I don't use any rock in my qt tank, just some pieces of PVC elbows and pipe for the fish to hide in.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don't use any rock in my qt tank, just some pieces of PVC elbows and pipe for the fish to hide in.
Well, that's the idea I have. I can start cycling the Qt before I setup the DT and then transfer the rock to the DT when is ready. Probably adding some kid of media to seed on the HOB filter before removing the rocks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's the idea I have. I can start cycling the Qt before I setup the DT and then transfer the rock to the DT when is ready. Probably adding some kid of media to seed on the HOB filter before removing the rocks.
Only problem with that is you don't want anything from qt to make its way into the dt. I wouldn't take rock from a qt to a dt just in case there was anything on it. not worth the risk if you have to put all the fish back in qt again.

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with that is you don't want anything from qt to make its way into the dt. I wouldn't take rock from a qt to a dt just in case there was anything on it. not worth the risk if you have to put all the fish back in qt again.
What I mean is that by the time the 10g QT is cycle and is ready to hold a fish, I may move the rock to the DT and probably the DT will still cycling too.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is that by the time the 10g QT is cycle and is ready to hold a fish, I may move the rock to the DT and probably the DT will still cycling too.
If you mean you're moving the rocks from QT to DT before putting your fish in but after quarantine is cycled then yes, that would be fine. Just not after you've already added fish as you don't want any ich eggs or anything to transfer over on your rock.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest

c7NJRa2.gif

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean you're moving the rocks from QT to DT before putting your fish in but after quarantine is cycled then yes, that would be fine. Just not after you've already added fish as you don't want any ich eggs or anything to transfer over on your rock.
Exactly. Another question, sorry to bother you and tanks a lot for your help. My local LFS sell the Saltwater @ a $1 per gallon and another Saltwater for $1.50 per gallon and he told me is for corals. I plan to have corals later but do I need to get that water now for cycling or I can skip that until later?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Another question, sorry to bother you and tanks a lot for your help. My local LFS sell the Saltwater @ a $1 per gallon and another Saltwater for $1.50 per gallon and he told me is for corals. I plan to have corals later but do I need to get that water now for cycling or I can skip that until later?
Just for cycling you can get the regular saltwater :) The stuff for corals has other elements that corals need, if there's no corals you don't need the other saltwater yet. On a side note I would highly recommend getting an RO and making your own saltwater at home. It saves you money in the long run :) And you're not a bother at all, that's what were here for

OP
OP
Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for cycling you can get the regular saltwater :) The stuff for corals has other elements that corals need, if there's no corals you don't need the other saltwater yet. On a side note I would highly recommend getting an RO and making your own saltwater at home. It saves you money in the long run :) And you're not a bother at all, that's what were here for
Great. Thanks. About the RODI system, that's on my Must Have list. You're right, making my own water put me on control of the whole thing.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back