Question About Fragging Hard Corals

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if dunkins are considered soft or hard because they have soft tentacles but I have so guy who said I could have a head for free because the pump to the nano he gave me didn't work. The thing is this guy hasn't really fragged anything before so he wants me to frag it. I was going to use my angle grinder with a vice but he said he doesn't have a vice and it CANT be loud because he lives in apartments. Sooooooo, what should I do? Can I use a manual hand saw or something? Answers are GREATLY appreciated. Also he is giving me a rio 800 for $5 that he says IS functional, is that pump compatible for a aqueon evolve 8 return?? Thanx!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were doing tons of fragging, you'd have a bandsaw with a diamond blade. Otherwise I'd recommend a rotary tool with a diamond circular blade. Duncans are LPS and therefore have a calcified skeleton. HERE's a video that shows fragging of a duncan.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used side cutters or bone cutters to frag a duncan before. Just make sure your cutting no flesh only bone. Making a guide break line could help from any splintering and no noise

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can. Guide line helps against that. Are they branching heads or is it a tight ball. Branching is easy but when theyre grown tight not so much

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used side cutters or bone cutters to frag a duncan before. Just make sure your cutting no flesh only bone. Making a guide break line could help from any splintering and no noise
I have also used bone cutters.
Hopefully this method will work for you.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2015-03-07 10.35.31.jpg
20140713_112626.jpg
afamousjohnson, is that your tank in the profile picture. It looks AWESOME...(also looks like you put a couple grand into it)

That was my 90 I had for a few years that came down a few months back. Over the few years of having the tank.......yes you could put progressive spending in the high dollar mark but that was simply maintaining not stocking.

Got involved with the local club - surrounding hobbiests - events swaps - trades and some sales and if ya ever check out the build thread you can see how fast it filled up ive always been fruggle when it comes to buying coral - Be cool in the hobby - be generous yourself most of all - get involved and keep corals alive and people will want to help fill your tank for you.
As you have done here. Stock your tank without spending to much. Trades are the best.

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually spent $80 today on a single coral lol. Rainbow morph trachy brain. They actually removed my thread about it because they said I was price phishing. Kinda weird right??? I hope they figure out they made a mistake and bring the thread back

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a tank thread? Can put all the pics of new corals and info bout um in there with no probs. Sounds like a kill deal on a rainbow. Have 1 toasting in the dark of my holding tank right now waiting for the new build to be open. I traded $200 give or take value in coral that I had more of for mine tho - no spending - gotta take the wife.on dates so she still loves my tank lol
Its sweet when stuff starts growing cause I know I can snap a piece - still have my piece - and have a new piece.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back