DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been dosing my tank with Reef Revolution parasite treatment

Ingredients are listed as peroxide salts.

This was LFS recommendation when adding new fish as I don't have a quarantine system set up. They said to double dose for two weeks when new fish are introduced.

I have since dosed the tank with copepods and was going to again to get a real population going but just thought that maybe the treatment would kill them?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are dosing this stuff as a “precaution”, but no active diagnosis?
this is new to me,but on the topic:
I have used a peroxide salt based stuff (Polylab Medic) before…
it “ seemed” to work along with additional dosing of H2O2 but tbh that whole regime of “ disease/parasite “oxididizer” thing is new-ish ….sketchy….maybe small sample ….
…..following, listening for more competent advise

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are dosing this stuff as a “precaution”, but no active diagnosis?
this is new to me,but on the topic:
I have used a peroxide salt based stuff (Polylab Medic) before…
it “ seemed” to work along with additional dosing of H2O2 but tbh that whole regime of “ disease/parasite “oxididizer” thing is new-ish ….sketchy….maybe small sample ….
…..following, listening for more competent advise
Hi - yes I suppose this is a precaution. The LFS said that wrasse often come in with parasites (it was qutie common) and that since I didn't have a quarantine set up at home that dosing the parasite treatment was the best option to prevent any issues in my tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that stuff does much of anything - maybe ask in the disease forum? There are ways to have ich management, but peroxide salts is not one of them that I know that works. Diverse microfauna to have a chance at eating Ich Tomonts when they hit the rock or sand, well-eating fish to be strong enough to fend off disease, lots of good hiding places for fish to feel secure and safe, etc.

Peroxide is a strong oxidant that can damage tissue of anything that it comes into contact with. It could harm pods, or anything else, in sufficient concentration.

southeastfishaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry jda, I’m aware that this is an old post, but I just read your response. I had a bad case of a bad disease in my tank.. I’m guessing it may have been ich. So I added polyplabs to it, since the instructions mentioned to add three times the dosage three times a day if needed for more extreme cases. So I took that route and most of the fish died within three days of dozing it. Also, my corals ended up drying out. That seemed very strange to me, do you think that may have accelerated their deaths because of the ingredients?

Many thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these are peroxide, which is a strong oxidant. I have no idea what caused what. Generally, any quick anything in a bottle is generally bad news and have unintended consequences.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done dosing 1ml/10 gals of hydrogen peroxide for about 2 weeks battling hair algae. It did do some damage to my pod population, but not wiped out. Featherduster didn't like it at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back