Question about managing epoxy effect on skimmer

Psi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2017
Messages
20
Reaction score
21
Location
Deep East Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year all! I recently bought a few turbo snails to help with some algae. Having heard they can be rough on aquascape (bulldozer, I believe was the term), I decided to reinforce my rocks with some WaterWeld epoxy. I used enough that my skimmer freaked out. I have read several solutions -leave skimmer off a few days, dial down the skimmer, raise the skimmer, or do water change. My question relates to the water change approach - Does anyone know if it would make a difference if I remove existing tank water via siphon (as I usually do) versus letting the skimmer remove it by running really wet into an external bucket? In other words, do you think the skimmer actually helps to remove whatever causes the excess foaming, or is it just reacting to it? Any thoughts appreciated.
 
Happy New Year all! I recently bought a few turbo snails to help with some algae. Having heard they can be rough on aquascape (bulldozer, I believe was the term), I decided to reinforce my rocks with some WaterWeld epoxy. I used enough that my skimmer freaked out. I have read several solutions -leave skimmer off a few days, dial down the skimmer, raise the skimmer, or do water change. My question relates to the water change approach - Does anyone know if it would make a difference if I remove existing tank water via siphon (as I usually do) versus letting the skimmer remove it by running really wet into an external bucket? In other words, do you think the skimmer actually helps to remove whatever causes the excess foaming, or is it just reacting to it? Any thoughts appreciated.
This. Whatever your skimmer doesn't like is what's going into the collection cup, so if you're just going to change out the water anyway, why not this way :)
 
Thanks for responding Crabs! That was kind of my thinking but wondered what others thought.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new