Question about protien skimmers

jrbates08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy is selling me his 45g, already cycled that houses a blue damsel, sand puffer, 2 crabs, a few snails and a peppermint shrimp (along with live rock that has some Coraline growing) anyways, the tank has been up and running for only 5 months. When I asked him what all was included, I noticed he didn't include a protien skimmer. I asked about it and he said he doesn't use one. Never even used one on his 90g (that is doing amazing btw). So are they just an addition if desired or a neccessity? His 90g has been up for over 2 years without a skimmer???? Just need to know if I should purchase another or just leave it alone. It's a 45g TALL tank
uploadfromtaptalk1396980461697.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396980481564.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396980493436.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they aren't a necessity, they are extremely valuable when it comes to keeping optimal water conditions. I don't think I would ever run a tank without one.

OP
OP
jrbates08

jrbates08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... see and he's never ran one and his 90g is very successful. Well I think I'll get one just for my own liking. Also, because it's a deep tank, do I need to get a jet that will reach the bottom of I add coral? Idk if a wave maker will work if it's just over the top of the water

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other ways to remove the proteins that a skimmer removes (water changes for example) but the skimmer runs all the time....working day and night. Yes, you will need water movement with coral (and for the overall health of the tank). You don't want any deadspots if at all possible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back