Question about quarantining basslets and wrasses together

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm about to place my first online order, and in an attempt to hit the free shipping dollar amount, I am considering purchasing two flasher wrasses for my nephew along with a royal gramma and yellow assessor for myself. He doesn't have a QT, so I was going to run his wrasses through QT with my basslets.

I use two 10 gallon tanks for quarantine, doing 12 days of TTM, with prophylactic dosing of Prazi Pro and Paraguard. But i've only ever done it with one small fish at a time (and only twice at that - i'm still very green). These are all small fishes, but i've read that basslets are very shy, and flasher wrasses like to swim around the tank a lot. I'm wondering if the activity of the wrasses in such a small tank will overly stress the basslets. If they are hiding in the PVC 100% of the time i'm concerned I might not observe any diseases that present during that time. Or, they might be too afraid to eat.

I have ammonia badges and prime to control ammonia between tank transfers, and plan on doing water changes every 2 or 3 days during the observation period afterward...does that sound about right given no biological filter?

I'm hoping someone with a little experience with basslets and/or wrasses in group quarantines might be able to share their experiences to let me know if they think this is a bad idea or not? Also, is there anything else I need to consider with this particular group, or in quarantining a group of fishes rather than a single fish?

Thanks,
Chance

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad idea, wrasse and basslets may have some aggression issues in such small quarters. Also you will most likely run into ammonia issues in such a small tank with more than one fish at a time. I would try to figure something else out.

Maybe buy some coral and one fish to hit your free shipping. I know the feeling about trying to get free shipping. Its probably a small part of why I have so many tanks now and so in debt. lol.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, those 4 should be fine together. I've had more together in that size tank.

The basslets and wrasses will ignore each other. The wrasses will only pay attention to each other.

Royal gramnas and yellow assessors are also 'bolder' as far as as small basslets go.

OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks eatbreakfast. They only have to live together for the 12 days of TTM (maybe 14 to give the other tank time to dry out). Then i'd have the second tank to divide them up if there are behavioral issues. I think i'm going to try it. At worst I may have to set up a third tank two hold 1 or two of them while the others go through TTM.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be cautious with ammonia. If you see the water get cloudy you know you need to do something. You could always change 5g out in between transfers if you need to, just stick with the correct time frame for transfer of glass.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan Rython, keep us updated how it goes. Kudos to you for qt!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back