Question about resealing my aquarium

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I have recently decided to reseal my aquarium because the silicone has started to wear and peel back so I pulled as much of the old silicone as I could (nearly everything). I see in tutorials that I should use some sort of an agent such as rubbing alcohol to get some excess out as well as any dust. I have filled the tank all the way up with water and worked on scrubbing and rinsing all the remaining chuncks (that I can see and feel). My question is, given what I have already done, is using something like rubbing alcohol really needed? I am just worried about it eating into where the glass panels line up and are held together.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get the glass really, REALLY clean or the new silicone won't stick very well. You see, silicone does not stick to itself, and if there is ANY residue left from the old silicone, the new won't last long. It will start to peel after you bump it a few times when cleaning the glass inside the tank. And alcohol cleans oils off the glass, it doesn't do anything to the silicone.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a new tank is cheaper in the long run than "resealing" an old one. If you're not disassembling and replacing the silicon between the panels your reseal is only going to last a handful of years because the silicon you're adding won't stick to the silicon in the gap and any slight air bubbles you leave behind in that space will work themselves out eventually. This is why you only ever see a "reseal" as a DIY and not something offered professionally. But certainly it's a reasonable bandaid to bridge you too something new, or acrylic ;)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on having to disassemble the panels and reseal and if you're not good at it it'll turn out messy and potentially not safe on the long run, maybe have a professional do it or just go for a new tank. at least I'd replace the front glass which would have been scratched at this stage I believe as well?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back