Reconstructing Old Tank

colemann97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’ve been in the hobby for a little while now (3 years), but I am rebuilding an old tank for the first time. It’s a 135 gallon tank, I removed each panel, scrapped off the old silicone, used acetone to remove the remaining residue, and then reassembled the tank yesterday using the GE ASTM C920 Class 50 supreme silicone. Foolishly, when purchasing the silicone I was distracted by the high adhesion strength. Anyway, since I already have the tank all put back together and curing, I’m wondering… would it be okay to leave the tank assembled (using the GE C920) but strip the inside seal and use the ASI aquarium sealant to reseal it??? My thought process is that none of the GE C920 will be in contact with the water that way AND I wouldn’t have to completely deconstruct the tank again. Please give me some ideas on how to do this as I really don’t want to redo the whole process again with these large, thick, pieces of glass!

OP
OP
colemann97

colemann97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it should work the way you think, but I wonder if the mold free part will leech through the ASI silicone?
That’s pretty much my main worry about doing it that way. I’m tempted to get an arsenic testing kit to use during the cycling process and maybe once a month after that

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Silicone is by nature very resistant to mold and mildew.

To my knowledge very few manufacturers are actually adding additional chemicals to prevent mold.

I am not saying none do, but there's a good chance you don't need to do anything except let it cure.

A quick check of the SDS just showed a bunch of silanes.

OP
OP
colemann97

colemann97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I started removing the inside seal of all the corners today so I’ll use the ASI silicone for that, but having this extra information really helps put my mind at ease that (hopefully) I won’t have any problems with doing that! Hallelujah for not having to deconstruct the entire tank again!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back