Question about RO/DI 150GPD and Smart Buddie RO/DI

t.mehoves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have '7 Stage PRO Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System' and wish to add 'Smart Buddie RO/DI Booster Pump - For 50-100 GPD Systems'.

What do I need to change to accommodate the Smart Buddie? I am currently at around 40-45psi and I use the float valve to fill a 44g Brute. I am not too worried about losing 50GPD changing something out, just not sure what to change. I just don't want to replace the Smart Buddie every year or whatever may happen if it's not rated for it. Am I just overthinking this?

IMG_3504.JPEG

Last edited:

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Did not see post. The Smart Buddie 50 -100 will not work properly long term with a 150 GPD RO system. The pump and flow restrictor is not setup for that size membrane.

We did release a new Smart Buddie 150 that will work for that size system.

If you want to email me at [email protected] I could send you additional information if you would like.

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Correct.

The water saver portion is kind of tricky. So by adding an additional membrane to an existing system without the Smart Buddie you increase the filtered water flow but keep the original RO systems flow restrictor. So you reduce your waste water to filtered water by half.

With the Smart Buddie we are already reducing the flow restrictor to 300 ml on the 50 - 100 Smart Buddie which is reducing the waste water too.

So if you add a water saver membrane and use a 300 ml flow restrictor you are double dipping. Additional membrane and half the flow restrictor size. This would likely give you a ratio of 1 gallon filtered to less than 1 gallon waste, possibly way more. It likely will scale the membrane as it is really hard on the membrane.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back