RO BUDDIE with float valve?

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m not new to ro/di. In the past I’ve built complex systems, I’m very familiar with this. However, the house I currently live in has limited space so I ordered an RO Buddie for under the sink. I’m only making water for a couple of ten gallon aquariums, and a 15 in the future.

As I’m going through the RO Buddie instructions I see it says not to use with a float valve because the di resin can’t “handle it”. What in the world does this mean? Can’t handle what? The pressure? I’ve used float valves on ro/di systems for years with no ill effects. They recommend their barrel Buddie. What is this nonsense? Is this just an attempt to sell me a pointless accessory?

The float isn’t going to be connected 24/7. At the most it will be setup over night. Anyone with a lot of water filtration experience want to weigh in? Is Aquatic life saying their resin cartridges can’t handle the back pressure from the float and solenoid? If so I’ll just throw a canister on the end and skip their prepack…..

There shouldn’t be anything special about the ro Buddie. It’s a pretty standard ro setup. It feels like their just trying to exploit an additional purchase.

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used float valves with the RO Buddy. It worked perfectly.
Thanks I assumed so. I’m sure it’s just a way for them to sell 130$ pumps and 99$ ato’s, but you never know what you don’t know so I thought I would check.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting mine up now. I got the RO buddie because we were blowing through Anion Resin. You could use theirs or the Tunze 8555 that also handles that problem. It’s really only if you have it hard plumbed into your ATO system. But not having to fill an ATO is AWESOME!!!!

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting mine up now. I got the RO buddie because we were blowing through Anion Resin. You could use theirs or the Tunze 8555 that also handles that problem. It’s really only if you have it hard plumbed into your ATO system. But not having to fill an ATO is AWESOME!!!!
I'm only filling a 5 gallon bucket maybe once a week. My water demands are low, so most of the time it won't even be hooked to the float switch, it will be **** of with a ball valve.

After ten years away from the hobby, everything is so automated now that I barely feel I'm doing any work as it is!

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its worded that way to reference TDS creep.

I use an RO buddy with a float valve and have done so for several years. No issues have arose that I can tell.

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use an RO buddy with a float valve and have done so for several years. No issues have arose that I can tell.
Gotcha, I'm not worried about TDS creep. Thanks!

TMAC6696

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is your ro buddie set uo with the demonization filter as well before the float?

OP
OP
A

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow totally didnt spell check. Deionization filter
Yes it is, but the float is rarely even present because the bucket it's on is disconnected from the system and it's all shut of with a ball valve. The float is only there when I'm making water in a five gallon bucket. When I go to make water for a given day, I run it until it reads zero TDS before filling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back