Question about Ryan's Biome Cycling Talk at RAP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Posted this in the general forum and realized it might be more appropriate here)

So I have a RS625 and i had been having a massive algae outbreak. GHA and other turf type algae, among others. In my tank I keep (among other things) a Ruby Scooter and a Mandarin so I add pods as needed but I have a pretty healthy pod population as well due to growing Chaeto in my sump. The stringy nasty algae on the back wall was almost 100% covering the back wall, then I went away for 5 days.

When I returned, I saw that the back wall was 100% clear of algae but the sand was covered in a thick layer of purple nasty gunk, exactly like what Ryan shows in the first 30 mins or so of his talk at RAP about pods eating various kinds of algae.

So, that was cool but now I have this purple gunk and its hard to clean up. I just did a 20 gal water change and vacuuming basically just stirred it all up and it looks terrible, its clumped together and did not want to just get sucked up. Has anyone encountered this and how did they get their sand clean?

Thx

OP
OP
jkobel

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tons of assorted snails, hermits, emerald crabs, and a conch are all present

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back