Question about when to reduce the return line?

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am planning a sump in my basement. I have a question about the plumbing of the return line. The line coming directly off the top of the return pump will be larger than the ultimate 3/4" return nozles that are in the tank. (There will be 2 return pumps, one for each return jet in the tank).

Should I reduce the line from the return pump down to 3/4 as soon as possible after the pump , or should I wait to reduce the line - maybe enen until it is right before the connection to the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
jvc

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am planning a sump in my basement. I have a question about the plumbing of the return line. The line coming directly off the top of the return pump will be larger than the ultimate 3/4" return nozles that are in the tank. (There will be 2 return pumps, one for each return jet in the tank).

Should I reduce the line from the return pump down to 3/4 as soon as possible after the pump , or should I wait to reduce the line - maybe enen until it is right before the connection to the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
jvc
I would reduce at the pump so as to not creat back pressure . Not sure if the pressure is strong enough to do that but when I did my tank that’s what I did . I also run it thru a manifold system as well

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer may depend on how things fit, and there are head loss calculators to help you determine the actual impact, but in general, a larger diameter results in lower velocity, and lower friction loss. So if you can, leave it large as long as you can.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the larger line and then reduce right at the tank to minimize the head loss. A basement installation will already be a challenge with the elevation difference.

OP
OP
J

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the larger line and then reduce right at the tank to minimize the head loss. A basement installation will already be a challenge with the elevation difference.

Luckily this is a straight-up shot.

Thanks for all the answers.

jvc

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back