Question about when to reduce the return line?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JvC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JvC

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
25
Location
45050
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am planning a sump in my basement. I have a question about the plumbing of the return line. The line coming directly off the top of the return pump will be larger than the ultimate 3/4" return nozles that are in the tank. (There will be 2 return pumps, one for each return jet in the tank).

Should I reduce the line from the return pump down to 3/4 as soon as possible after the pump , or should I wait to reduce the line - maybe enen until it is right before the connection to the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
jvc
 
Hey all, I am planning a sump in my basement. I have a question about the plumbing of the return line. The line coming directly off the top of the return pump will be larger than the ultimate 3/4" return nozles that are in the tank. (There will be 2 return pumps, one for each return jet in the tank).

Should I reduce the line from the return pump down to 3/4 as soon as possible after the pump , or should I wait to reduce the line - maybe enen until it is right before the connection to the tank?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
jvc
I would reduce at the pump so as to not creat back pressure . Not sure if the pressure is strong enough to do that but when I did my tank that’s what I did . I also run it thru a manifold system as well
 
The answer may depend on how things fit, and there are head loss calculators to help you determine the actual impact, but in general, a larger diameter results in lower velocity, and lower friction loss. So if you can, leave it large as long as you can.
 
You want the larger line and then reduce right at the tank to minimize the head loss. A basement installation will already be a challenge with the elevation difference.
 
You want the larger line and then reduce right at the tank to minimize the head loss. A basement installation will already be a challenge with the elevation difference.

Luckily this is a straight-up shot.

Thanks for all the answers.

jvc
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new