Question after ICP results

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an ICP question I had checked my water at the same time I filled up ICP test, my hanna showed 34.5ppt, refrac shows me 35, took it to LFS and tested about the same 1.026sg (Milwaukee) got ICP tests back and as you can see showing 38.6ppt. All my stuff is calibrated so would ICP be off or are all my tests off? This isnt the first time last time showed 37ppt.

Also any ideas on Sulfur? I use Neomarine, carx (arm media), was using kalk (to simplify just carx now), dose acropower daily and my RO water after test shows .4ppm

Tank looks like everything is doing fine I just send these off as a sanity check but this time its more messing with my head more than anything.

Attached is ICP results for tank and rodi.

shared-widget-1600119001635.jpeg shared-widget-1600118252317.jpeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I send an icp test out monthly and I check my salinity daily. (Constantly now with my Apex). The icp always comes back much higher for me. Idk why. I would trust you refractometer as long as it’s calibrated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a believer in the accuracy of this particular ICP company, so I'll answer under the assumption it is accurate, but I would double check any important measurements.

Sulfur is sulfate. It can vary a lot between salt mixes, and can also come from a sulfur denitrator, or very long term use of only Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for magnesium. It likely is not a problem, but there's little data on it.

On the salinity, I'd make my own standard and check your devices.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a believer in the accuracy of this particular ICP company, so I'll answer under the assumption it is accurate, but I would double check any important measurements.

Sulfur is sulfate. It can vary a lot between salt mixes, and can also come from a sulfur denitrator, or very long term use of only Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) for magnesium. It likely is not a problem, but there's little data on it.

On the salinity, I'd make my own standard and check your devices.
Thank you much really appreciate the replies just wanted to confirm what I suspected as well I sent off another test to ati at the same time as I was curious of the difference in results to see if it was worth the extra cash for the ATI tests.

Thanks again!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you much really appreciate the replies just wanted to confirm what I suspected as well I sent off another test to ati at the same time as I was curious of the difference in results to see if it was worth the extra cash for the ATI tests.

Thanks again!
I got results back from this company and my Salinity seemed to be just about right. Calcium and Magnesium also matched my tests well. What is interesting about your test (and mine) is the Tin in the RODI matches the Tin in the tank. Your RODI shows .03ppm of of Tin and so does your tank. If I'm not mistaken, that .03ppm is the same as 30 ug/l which is the measuring standard some of the other ICP companies use. 30 is pretty high for Tin, especially in RODI. Mine wasn't quite that high, but I took the water right out of the RODI tube and I'm getting matching Tin results in my RODI and Tank. I'm not sure if I should believe I have a tin issue in my RODI or not. I have 2x DI stages and the first stage is exhausted putting out 2-TDS and the 2nd stage is still fine putting out 0-TDS. I'm replacing both DI's this weekend.
@Betex What did your ATI results show for both Tin and Salinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got results back from this company and my Salinity seemed to be just about right. Calcium and Magnesium also matched my tests well. What is interesting about your test (and mine) is the Tin in the RODI matches the Tin in the tank. Your RODI shows .03ppm of of Tin and so does your tank. If I'm not mistaken, that .03ppm is the same as 30 ug/l which is the measuring standard some of the other ICP companies use. 30 is pretty high for Tin, especially in RODI. Mine wasn't quite that high, but I took the water right out of the RODI tube and I'm getting matching Tin results in my RODI and Tank. I'm not sure if I should believe I have a tin issue in my RODI or not. I have 2x DI stages and the first stage is exhausted putting out 2-TDS and the 2nd stage is still fine putting out 0-TDS. I'm replacing both DI's this weekend.
@Betex What did your ATI results show for both Tin and Salinity?

The tin may have come after the DI, from plastic things it contacts. That much tin is unlikely to get through a properly functioning RO/DI.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it was straight out of the RODI unit into the ICP test tube. But mine was 10 ug/l

But not straight out of the DI resin. It came out of plastic tubing and a plastic holder for the DI resin. Some types of plastic tubing have been shown to be one source of tin.

OP
OP
Betex

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton showed my arsenic to be undetectable by their ICP and they colored it green. I would not dose arsenic.
I actually did an ATI at the same time and it came in and my RODI shows correct at 0 while just the tank being high

1601587544201.png

With that said this is what ATI came back with I am not sure about Bromine as the quantity needed to raise that is pretty high so wondering if its just a mistake but still popped up on ATI. I am now running Continuum HM to remove the Tin.

1601587597653.png

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did an ATI at the same time and it came in and my RODI shows correct at 0 while just the tank being high

1601587544201.png

With that said this is what ATI came back with I am not sure about Bromine as the quantity needed to raise that is pretty high so wondering if its just a mistake but still popped up on ATI. I am now running Continuum HM to remove the Tin.

1601587597653.png
Thanks! So your ATI RODI shows 0 for tin? That makes me feel better, I’ll trust that test.
Looks like icp analysis and ATI both reported about the same amount of Tin in your tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bromide is used by algae, bacteria, and possibly other organisms, but it may not be not "needed" in a reef tank. It's a fine experiment to add some. My tank naturally ran high in bromide, despite dosing none.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 184 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back