Cherub's Red Sea Reefer XXL 625

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I am starting a build thread for my new tank. I ordered it two weeks ago so it won't be long now! I went with the Red Sea Reefer XXL 625. It was a hard decision as there are so many great vendors to choose from. I contacted several different companies for quotes and though many of them had similar pricing, the tank Red Sea puts out is sexy and that sump... I just couldn't resist! I went with the deluxe to get the lights at a discount.

I started ordering other items I will need and it all started coming in so I have pics to share so I figured why wait for the tank.

Equipment list so far:

Red Sea Reefer XXL 625
AI Hydra 26 HD x2 and 52 HD x1.
MP40WQD x2
Syncra Silent 5.0 for the return
Flipper Max glass cleaner
300w Jager heater x2
Reef Octopus classic 6" (not sure if this is permanent, feedback appreciated)
GHL ProfiLux 4 Mega-set controller(comes with probes and junk) - for now
130lbs Marco Rock
60lbs special grade Caribsea Sand (may add more)
Kessil H380 fuge light with gooseneck

As far as the lights I wasn't sure if 3 Hydra 26's HD would be enough so I bought a 52 HD to put in the middle of two 26's. I will use the third 26 on a frag tank.

The aquarium won't be here for a couple of weeks still so I will mess with the rock and get an idea of what I want to do for rock work. I'm thinking a couple of islands or maybe an arch. The rock i got isn't great as far as shapes and now show pieces. I aksed for large pieces and I got a bunch of smaller chunks... I'm pretty disappointed with the selection really... But I will make it work. maybe order a large rock from BRS or something.

I haven't ordered any media reactors yet. Red Sea claims in a video that the filter socks can be used for media so i will see how that works. I will also be using kalkwasser in a drip system to start but may witch to 2 part. I want as low maintenance as I can get lol.

I need to order a locline splitter for the return but am unsure what size I need for this reefer. If anyone knows let me know :)

Also I am unsure if I will stick with this controller or go with the eKoral when it comes out next month. I want to see reviews and such. Plus I have a RKL I can use until I make a solid choice. The lights don't need a controller. I basically need temp controlling and controllable outlets for now. It will be a few months before I can do corals.

That's it for now, thanks for checking my build thread, it is in progress and probably will be for years :p

Feed back is welcome :)

Shalom!

35942366461_712decfbea_h.jpg

35942368551_b712cdf445_h.jpg

36057271342_2494122778_k.jpg

35389135494_112c27cb1f_k.jpg

35417568773_dacdf9a328_k.jpg

36181859156_27f2de527f_k.jpg

sdc247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I am about to pull the trigger on the reefer 625 deluxe. I am nervous because I have never put anything like that together so I am curious to see how easy (or difficult) it is. I own a 150 reef tank that I have maintained the last 5 years w no issues so I am confident I can run it, its just getting it functional that worries me. How long did it take to arrive once you ordered it? Looking forward to this and good luck!

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I am about to pull the trigger on the reefer 625 deluxe. I am nervous because I have never put anything like that together so I am curious to see how easy (or difficult) it is. I own a 150 reef tank that I have maintained the last 5 years w no issues so I am confident I can run it, its just getting it functional that worries me. How long did it take to arrive once you ordered it? Looking forward to this and good luck!

I was nervous about putting it together too but my vendor offered to put it together and deliver it for a small fee lol I jumped on it! I haven't gotten it yet though, it's being built now. My vendor said it would be 3-4 weeks. It's been 2 so far.

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got the cabinet 95% done last night after 5 hours on it. The instruction are small printed pictures and I found it a challenge, however if you take your time and really look at the pictures long enough you can get it. It is mostly cam lock pin interface construction like IKEA furniture. The hardest part was that some of the cabinet pieces are under the tank on the pallet. I only had my wife to help pull them out slowly when I lifted one side at the time. It is heavy!!! The pallet weight is 845 pounds. If you can use a screwdriver you can put the cabinet together. Good luck, hope you get one too.

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3048.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

sdc247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W0w 5 hours and just you and your wife? It will be 3 of us luckily, with a 4th if necessary for the heavy lifting. How much did the tank alone weigh and was it hard to get up on the stand? I ordered the 625 deluxe yesterday so now its sit and wait....

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W0w 5 hours and just you and your wife? It will be 3 of us luckily, with a 4th if necessary for the heavy lifting. How much did the tank alone weigh and was it hard to get up on the stand? I ordered the 625 deluxe yesterday so now its sit and wait....
Yes it is very heavy. I had 4 friends help me out it on the stand. I used 8 cheap glass suction cups from harbor freight and 3 furniture dollies to move it. I would say the tank weighs close to 550 to 600. Congrats on your purchase, and I hope it comes soon for you.

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is very heavy. I had 4 friends help me out it on the stand. I used 8 cheap glass suction cups from harbor freight and 3 furniture dollies to move it. I would say the tank weighs close to 550 to 600. Congrats on your purchase, and I hope it comes soon for you.

IMG_3071.JPG

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub, I am curious of how you determined your return pump choice. I am not saying it is wrong just want to know if you had a specific reason.

sdc247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, well the tank is set to arrive next Thursday and I will spend most of Friday working on it. Hopefully the weekend will give me enough time to complete everything. Did you have any issues with missing and/or broken parts?

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub,
Nothing was broke or scratched, and I they put the right amount of screws, cam locks , dowel pins ect.. I only had on foot rest bolt that the threads were messed up, I was able to chase them down with a metric die I had, however i don't remember what size it was. But overall it was perfect.

sdc247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding, hopefully I have the same luck. I have read quite a few posts from people who had stuff missing or things broken.

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a water leak on the pvc pipe that has the Red Sea valve on it. It was leaking at the union fitting close to the tank, where the union and elbow are glued. I took a q tip with pvc glue and applied a few coats on there glue all the way around, let it dry for 10 minutes and it sealed up. Water test passed added salt and tomorrow start cycle.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!!

sdc247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good story. So I showed up at work at 6am today, and wouldn't you know it, there was a 1000lb pallet right inside our main entranceway. My red reefer 650 deluxe. I work in a pretty big medical building so think large main room with automatic doors and a directory that everyone stops to locate their particulars dr office. They left it in front of the directory. I would estimate 1000 people will pass within a few feet of it just today. No phone call, no inspecting anything, and I was in the office until 5pm yesterday and nobody came so the delivery service must have come at night bc the main entrance is open until 9pm. When I tracked it, it said delivery Wed, and I was promised a call to set up a delivery date which would have been friday. They just dropped it off Tues night and bolted. After a mini heart attack I get some red duct and tape all around it warning fragile etc. Either myself or someone I work with checks on it every 10-15 min nonstop for 10 hours. Fun! I know I need to get this built tonight because it wont last long out there (several people left old coffee cups on it if you get me). I call most of the friends I know and offer them anything they want if they can drop what they are doing tonight and come help me. We all have young kids, I mean this was begging....Well 3 of the manned up and 4.5 hours and several beers later, voila....I am still pretty ticked I didnt get any notice or chance to make sure anything was damaged or missing, but we assembled the base and lights with no issues so I am hopeful the rest is the same. Tomorrow night is the plumbing and possibly the transfer of my old tank as I am getting rid of an old 150g in my house and putting its inhabitants in this new red reefer. Im just such a planner to have something tossed in my lap like this was interesting to say the least. More to come.

IMG_7566.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back