Question - Korallin biodenitrator S1502

beachsidereefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2014
Messages
280
Reaction score
54
Location
Cocoa Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

So I got this used reactor with my 200 gallon tank, cleaned it up, put in fresh media, primed and got the thing working. Right now it's doing about a drop of second back into my sump and with the valve all the way open it flows a decent stream of water. The pump seems to be humming right along but I don't see the yellow media tumbling. My question is should the media tumble like I see in youtube videos for other brands of reactors? or is this type of model designed not tumble the yellow media?

Thanks,
Orson.

IMG_20140505_074246.jpg
 
sorry, forgot to mention I did shake the reactor a couple of times and the media does not appear to be frozen up.... it will definitely move around if I shake it.
 
Denitrators don't tend to run any kind of flow through them. So there woudln't be any tumbling media to my knowledge. The water flows throughly down all the media where the bacteria is growing to remove the Nitrates, thus its going to be very slow. When I ran mine it was at 3 drips per second. Not quick at all. Sulpher denitrators run a bit quicker.
Sorry for the late reply, missed it.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I agree with your line of thinking but then I saw a couple of youtube videos where they show the sulfur media tumbling along with a valve to adjust the tumble so I started to wonder how the one I have should work.

Right now I have it going at two drops a second which is what the instructions recommended.
 
I have the same biodenitrator and absolutely love it! The sulfur beads are not supposed to tumble. I have mine running at 2 drips/sec. It did take the full 6 weeks for mine to kick in. Ialso have the prefilter to reduce amount of build up inside it.
 
Thanks buckroe07 for the information. How often do you change out the sulfur media? I'm guessing the reef bones never have to be changed out unless they completely disolve?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new