Question on baffle-less stock tank sump

sunil6784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a build with a basement sump utilizing a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank. This will be my first tank using a sump like this, and the first time using an external pump.

The display will have a Herbie overflow, with one emergency drain. In my previous tanks, I always made sure the display could handle the volume of water in return section of f the sump in case of a drain restriction. With a baffle-less stock tank, I don't know how that is possible, unless I drill the stock tank high(er) so the external return pump's intake is pulling from the top of the sump, rather than the bottom. Or, create a standpipe in the sump so I can adjust where the pump is pulling from.

Am I correct in my thinking ?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a build with a basement sump utilizing a 100g Rubbermaid stock tank. This will be my first tank using a sump like this, and the first time using an external pump.

The display will have a Herbie overflow, with one emergency drain. In my previous tanks, I always made sure the display could handle the volume of water in return section of f the sump in case of a drain restriction. With a baffle-less stock tank, I don't know how that is possible, unless I drill the stock tank high(er) so the external return pump's intake is pulling from the top of the sump, rather than the bottom. Or, create a standpipe in the sump so I can adjust where the pump is pulling from.

Am I correct in my thinking ?
You are correct, you would have to drill the tub higher if you want to account for that. I have a similar setup, but using an internal pump. Due to this, I just have my pump set up on egg rate so that is sits high enough, but not suck air.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back