Question on bamboos and coral shark tank size

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 72x36x27 300 gallon suitable for a few years only or forever?
Few years only. The LFS I work at had someone trade in a young bamboo shark, and we are about to have to give it to the public aquarium because it is about to outgrow the largest tank in our store (a tank identical to the one you described)

OP
OP
C

Chris251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few years only. The LFS I work at had someone trade in a young bamboo shark, and we are about to have to give it to the public aquarium because it is about to outgrow the largest tank in our store (a tank identical to the one you described)
Was he pretty happy in there for a few years though?

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he pretty happy in there for a few years though?
Not sure how we are supposed to measure a fish's happiness.

I think you are at the stage 4 of reefer's decision:

You have already made up your mind, know it's a bad idea, but are looking for some validation to make yourself less guilty about a small tank.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is 72x36x27 300 gallon suitable for a few years only or forever?
For a Bamboo shark, it will suit it's needs for a year, 2 years at maximum. They can get 3 foot long and quite thick and they will wreak havoc on a tank that size. Secondly, by "Coral Shark" I assume you mean Coral Catshark which are very rare right now inside of the hobby as they are no longer collected because of being endangered and I only know of one successful institution that captive breeds them and they sell out of pups immediately. Marbled catsharks are very similar being just a tad bit smaller, around 10% and less active than Coral Catsharks and are pretty commonly sold still. Now, back to your question this tank could fit 1 Marbled Catshark for the entirety of it's life. It's unlikely this shark would get over 20" in captivity so it should be just fine in a 6' x 3' tank in my opinion.

OP
OP
C

Chris251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how we are supposed to measure a fish's happiness.

I think you are at the stage 4 of reefer's decision:

You have already made up your mind, know it's a bad idea, but are looking for some validation to make yourself less guilty about a small tank.
I need zero validation from you or anyone on anything in life. I was asking a question that I was not 100% the answer due to conflicting advice and smart butt responses. I'm debating between that tank and a 500 gallon 91x41x31 so I asked a friend question on a forum that allows you to ask questions. And if you can't measure a fishes happiness how do you know that one wouldn't be happy in any tank ‍♂️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back