Question on bracing

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone
I'm planning on building a 240-ish gallon acrylic tank, 96" by 24" by 23". I was wondering if 5 braces going front to back would be enough. The braces would be 0.5" thick and 4" wide. They'll be about 2 feet apart. If it's not enough, I'll buy another sheet of acrylic.
Thank you for all the inputs

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,sounds good to me,how thick are your panes? love to see the build.. ;) :cool:
@Joe Glass Cages any thoughts??
Got sure! Love this stuff!
@Tom nhia, couple of questions
- What thickness of Acrylic are you planning to use.
- You use the term "braces", are you referring to cross-braces?
- Cross-Braces on 24" center on a 96" tank would give you 3 cross-braces. How will you get 5 cross-braces on a 96" tank?
- Are you done a perimeter bracing with cross-braces?

Love that you are building your own tank! Fun stuff.

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sounds good to me,how thick are your panes? love to see the build.. ;) :cool:
@Joe Glass Cages any thoughts??

Got sure! Love this stuff!
@Tom nhia, couple of questions
- What thickness of Acrylic are you planning to use.
- You use the term "braces", are you referring to cross-braces?
- Cross-Braces on 24" center on a 96" tank would give you 3 cross-braces. How will you get 5 cross-braces on a 96" tank?
- Are you done a perimeter bracing with cross-braces?

Love that you are building your own tank! Fun stuff.
-Planning to use 0.5 thick acrylic for the whole build.
-I believe that's what they are called. My plan was to put one on both ends, one in the middle and one between end and middle(see picture)
-Im not sure what you mean, can you give me more info on that?

Attachments

• 16133071555887470798769695240387.jpg
    16133071555887470798769695240387.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 25

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm gonna suggest using.80 for panes,.50 .60 top and bottom/braces?? think will have 0 bow.hah.."Joe will know" :cool:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Planning to use 0.5 thick acrylic for the whole build.
-I believe that's what they are called. My plan was to put one on both ends, one in the middle and one between end and middle(see picture)
-Im not sure what you mean, can you give me more info on that?
Got its.

Using the link below to calculate the thickness needed, I get 0.742. rounded up. 3/4" thick acrylic is suggest use this method for determine thickness needed.

For bracing. Perimeter Bracing with Cross-Braces is what I was referring to. This would be done with a solid sheet of acrylic and cutting out the 4 opening on the top leaving you with a solid bracing on top with perimeter bracing and 3 cross-braces. Please see the picture below. This tank is smaller than the one you desire to build, 48 x 24 x 25 tall. shows the concept though.

IMG_2349.jpg

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm gonna suggest using.80 for panes,.50 .60 top and bottom/braces?? think will have 0 bow.hah.."Joe will know" :cool:

Got its.

Using the link below to calculate the thickness needed, I get 0.742. rounded up. 3/4" thick acrylic is suggest use this method for determine thickness needed.

For bracing. Perimeter Bracing with Cross-Braces is what I was referring to. This would be done with a solid sheet of acrylic and cutting out the 4 opening on the top leaving you with a solid bracing on top with perimeter bracing and 3 cross-braces. Please see the picture below. This tank is smaller than the one you desire to build, 48 x 24 x 25 tall. shows the concept though.

IMG_2349.jpg
Alright thank you for the input! There were a few sources that said that 0.5 was fine but you guys know more than me so I'll follow the advice!
As for the perimeter bracing with cross-braces. I originally did plan to do something like that but with only 2 sheets (8x4) I dont have enough leftover to do it. I would go 3 sheets if I can find a use for the rest haha my family would kill me for having "junk" in the house

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
better to spend the extra now,prob only going to once..
can use what you have for top and bottom,end up w 2x8 piece and your holes,make a sump,
not sure but if can get ? 1, 4'x10' sheet 3/4" will do exactly the panes less the cut size ;)
gotta take pics and start a build thread when ready,would love to see build..:cool:

OP
OP
Tom nhia

Tom nhia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
better to spend the extra now,prob only going to once..
can use what you have for top and bottom,end up w 2x8 piece and your holes,make a sump,
not sure but if can get ? 1, 4'x10' sheet 3/4" will do exactly the panes less the cut size ;)
gotta take pics and start a build thread when ready,would love to see build..:cool:
I haven't found anyone that sell 4'x10' sheet yet but I'll keep an eye out. As for the extras, I'll make a sump now that you mention it. I dont think my crystal 30 sump is going to be big enough for this tank lol

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back