Question on dosing BRS stuff.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am doing some research on what exactly I need to dose. I am leaning towards the BRS line of products. They have a calculator which I input my numbers on. I like that.

Here is my question, for the Kalkwasser I have read not to exceed 2tsp per gallon. Got it.

Does this not apply to the individual Calcium product. Looking at the calculator it says for me to raise my calcium from 440 to 460 it would take 111 grams of product. Would I put the 111 grams in, give it a mix and let it settle, and then add it over the next 5 days? Or is there a limit on how much calcium to add like the Kalkwasser?

Will it be the same for the Soda Ash?

I understand not raising either level up more then XX amount.

Thanks for any clarification on this!

Mike

ZoixDark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big in your tank? if my calculation are correct moving 20 points with 111g you'd have to have like a 400 gallon tank. or did you miss read/type it and it should be 11.1g?

But no, adding 20 points worth of increase in a day would be fine. Kalk affects PH so that's why the guidance of the max but it's going to depend on how fast your tank uptakes stuff. Soda ash raises PH too but if you're dosing to the consumption of the tank you should be fine if you're dosing it slowly throughout the day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing some research on what exactly I need to dose. I am leaning towards the BRS line of products. They have a calculator which I input my numbers on. I like that.

Here is my question, for the Kalkwasser I have read not to exceed 2tsp per gallon. Got it.

Does this not apply to the individual Calcium product. Looking at the calculator it says for me to raise my calcium from 440 to 460 it would take 111 grams of product. Would I put the 111 grams in, give it a mix and let it settle, and then add it over the next 5 days? Or is there a limit on how much calcium to add like the Kalkwasser?

Will it be the same for the Soda Ash?

I understand not raising either level up more then XX amount.

Thanks for any clarification on this!

Mike

As you may know, you cannot use kalkwasser for calcium boosts as the alk will rise too much.

Calcium chloride is the thing to use. This calculator shows how much is needed:

Last edited:
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how big in your tank? if my calculation are correct moving 20 points with 111g you'd have to have like a 400 gallon tank. or did you miss read/type it and it should be 11.1g?

But no, adding 20 points worth of increase in a day would be fine. Kalk affects PH so that's why the guidance of the max but it's going to depend on how fast your tank uptakes stuff. Soda ash raises PH too but if you're dosing to the consumption of the tank you should be fine if you're dosing it slowly throughout the day.
My tank is a 375, with a 75 gallon sump and 40 gallon breeder.
As you may know, you cannot use kalkwasser for calcium boosts as the alk will rise too much.

Calcium chloride is the things to use. This calculator shows how much is needed:

I was going to use the calcium, alk and mg the BRS sells and use there calculator. I will look at yours as well! Thank you very much!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 375, with a 75 gallon sump and 40 gallon breeder.

I was going to use the calcium, alk and mg the BRS sells and use there calculator. I will look at yours as well! Thank you very much!

That's fine. The one I linked covers many products, not just theirs.

For routine dosing, I'd suggest using the BRS products in the DIY two/three part recipe that I designed (BRS provides directions), instead of random dosing every time

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back