Question on PE

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ive noticed that sometimes my birdsnest corals will have some but not all polyps closed for parts of the day. Im talking maybe 20-30% of them closed. Anybody know what that means?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could mean that something has nipped on them and they don't want to come back out. It also could mean nothing. I would not sweat it too much unless you see them start to get torn off by a fish.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does it look like at night? Do you phyto or roid? It is probably just a flow thing, strong or not enough I'd look at first.

A good amount are open at night... ive been feeding reef chili. Im thinking it might be flow as well. Its a ORA Sour Apple... should it be in really high flow?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a sour apple, so I can't say. Most nests branch out and don't trunk below. Reef chili is dry phyto rich, green if you mix it w/ tank water and let it set in a shot glass. New growth is priority # one for nests though. Feed activity at night is a healthy sign.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never had a sour apple, so I can't say. Most nests branch out and don't trunk below. Reef chili is dry phyto rich, green if you mix it w/ tank water and let it set in a shot glass. New growth is priority # one for nests though. Feed activity at night is a healthy sign.
Thanks. Do polyps close when they catch food?

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those are fingers that catch the food to pull it in. Saying that, the coral skin itself feeds off your lights. The flow keeps food flowing to the opened polyps, and also blows off mucus or slime the coral emits.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, those are fingers that catch the food to pull it in. Saying that, the coral skin itself feeds off your lights. The flow keeps food flowing to the opened polyps, and also blows off mucus or slime the coral emits.
Thanks for the info... im planning on adding some additional flow. My tank is barebottom and i have one mp10 cranked up to almost max in a 18x18x18 cube but there is some dead spots due to the rock work.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back