Question on Skimmer for Fluval Evo 13.5

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.. for anyone that has a PS2 skimmer running on their Fluval Evo, are you getting micro bubbles?? I've had it running for almost 2 weeks now and cannot seem to get the adjustment just right. I tried adding a bigger sponge near the output of the skimmer to try and collect more but it still isn't helping. I also have filter floss in the 2nd chamber and that doesn't seem to help either. Any ideas?? Thanks!

ReefCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting on the surface skimmer that came with the tank if you haven't already. It elevates the water level a little. You will notice a big drop in the water level in chamber 2 and 3 though so be aware. Should help with the bubbles.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting on the surface skimmer that came with the tank if you haven't already. It elevates the water level a little. You will notice a big drop in the water level in chamber 2 and 3 though so be aware. Should help with the bubbles.

Yeah I tried that but it didn't work too well unfortunately.

ReefCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up scrapping the skimmer and put in better filtration and weekly water changes. Haven't had any issues. Sorry that didn't work out for you.

Jake58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.. for anyone that has a PS2 skimmer running on their Fluval Evo, are you getting micro bubbles?? I've had it running for almost 2 weeks now and cannot seem to get the adjustment just right. I tried adding a bigger sponge near the output of the skimmer to try and collect more but it still isn't helping. I also have filter floss in the 2nd chamber and that doesn't seem to help either. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Are you meaning it fills up too quick? The bubbles try turning down and up both the air intake and the water. Eventually you find what you looking for. But after adjusting. Wait 15-30 seconds. Then re adjust.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you meaning it fills up too quick? The bubbles try turning down and up both the air intake and the water. Eventually you find what you looking for. But after adjusting. Wait 15-30 seconds. Then re adjust.

I've had it offline for a couple weeks now. I'm waiting to get my media basket for the 2nd chamber. Once I install that I'll mess around with it again.

Jake58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of media basket are you trying? I thought of trying to beef up mine aswell. The stock looking at house it works.. isn't really the smartest way. How it can go through the media horizontal in stead on vertically.
I've had it offline for a couple weeks now. I'm waiting to get my media basket for the 2nd chamber. Once I install that I'll mess around with it again.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had trouble with bubbles, but thanks to good advice from WarEagle 88, I ended up closing off the intake flow as much as possible (turned valve so that concave side was "matched" with concave intake) and turned air control valve all the way up to maximize suction. This gave me a good wet skim and no microbubbles, and is very quiet. I like the PS 2 now, but was ready to give it away for the first several days.

IMHO it's worth the effort and time to get it right.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean turn the outtake valve completely closed off or fully open? When I had mine closed off and turned the air valve up, it overflowed really quick

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you mean turn the outtake valve completely closed off or fully open? When I had mine closed off and turned the air valve up, it overflowed really quick
So what is labeled as "adjustable water level control valve" was turned in such a way as to minimize the amount of water entering the skimmer from the tank; yeah, instructions are almost non existant, even Fluval's YouTube video wasn't much help, and I had to play around with mine for awhile. BTW, I'm not using the clip on water level controller which attaches to the filter inlet and have two rubber bands holding the cup on tight.

Good luck

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is labeled as "adjustable water level control valve" was turned in such a way as to minimize the amount of water entering the skimmer from the tank; yeah, instructions are almost non existant, even Fluval's YouTube video wasn't much help, and I had to play around with mine for awhile. BTW, I'm not using the clip on water level controller which attaches to the filter inlet and have two rubber bands holding the cup on tight.

Good luck

Oh I know the instructions are terrible! So wait you have a minimal amount of water entering the skimmer and then turn the air valve all the way out? I think that's the main problem is the cup doesn't seat firmly onto the body. I'm gonna put a rubber band on it and see how it works but first I wanna get my media basket in and figure that out

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back