Question On Treatment, a bit confused ... (Not Emergency)

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2+ weeks ago after a very long battle with ICK and who know what else (Waiting on Full DNA Testing) I decided to go
fallow. I have 2 Chromis that have survived thru 2 tank crashes due to whatever parasite / disease I am dealing with.
Figures, I lost all the 4, 5, and 6 hundred dollar fish and the $10 Chromis make it like champs...

In my 20gal QT, I have had copper power at 2.5ppm, all good... Only thing in there are 2 Chromis and a Long Nose Hawk fish who
minds his own and was with them in my main display.... Feeding this morning, I see a red spot on one of the Chromis, (Back Rear Fin in photo) I have zero experience
wiith Uronema, from what I can see it looks like what I have researched, Is it possible to get this disease without any new introductions. I know
copper is not the treatment, but these guys have been thru 100 times more stress in the display tank. I leave on a trip for a few days tomorrow,
I have Formalin, metro, prazzi, meth blue, API Gen Cure, Or it's possibly an injury or nip from the hawk fish... All fish acting normal and eating...

Do I just leave it alone till I get back Thursday night or should I try to treat someway?

IMG_3666.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2+ weeks ago after a very long battle with ICK and who know what else (Waiting on Full DNA Testing) I decided to go
fallow. I have 2 Chromis that have survived thru 2 tank crashes due to whatever parasite / disease I am dealing with.
Figures, I lost all the 4, 5, and 6 hundred dollar fish and the $10 Chromis make it like champs...

In my 20gal QT, I have had copper power at 2.5ppm, all good... Only thing in there are 2 Chromis and a Long Nose Hawk fish who
minds his own and was with them in my main display.... Feeding this morning, I see a red spot on one of the Chromis, (Back Rear Fin in photo) I have zero experience
wiith Uronema, from what I can see it looks like what I have researched, Is it possible to get this disease without any new introductions. I know
copper is not the treatment, but these guys have been thru 100 times more stress in the display tank. I leave on a trip for a few days tomorrow,
I have Formalin, metro, prazzi, meth blue, API Gen Cure, Or it's possibly an injury or nip from the hawk fish... All fish acting normal and eating...

Do I just leave it alone till I get back Thursday night or should I try to treat someway?

IMG_3666.jpg
is it possible - yes. It can be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and as mentioned, waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
To touch up more on this disease which is an oval ciliated motile protozoan that causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish.

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Thanks a million, I can always count on you for an answer! I do have Formalin, I'll wait till I'm back Thursday and look for the protocol, I assume I can just drain tank and use the Formalin in there vs the copper, my understanding it will kill ICK as well so I could due that in lieu of the copper... The spot does look less red tonight, maybe it was some sort of nip ? I will keep an eye for sure, BTW sold the Vette, Bitter sweet, the market is dropping on them so I got out while the getting was good! Pete

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does not look like a nip (to me) - is it possible you can post a picture under brighter lighting, no shadows? If it's what I think I'm looking at - I see a similar spot on another fish. Usually (if) uronema - a quicker treatment is often best

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Back home today, the spot is 99.9% gone. Fish are all acting normal, eating and happy. Thanks for all the help everyone!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update:

Back home today, the spot is 99.9% gone. Fish are all acting normal, eating and happy. Thanks for all the help everyone!
I would suggest careful watching for the next couple weeks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back