Questions about a decent heater and mighty jet.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sunday101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sunday101

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
15
Location
60517
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. My wife and I Recently picked up a IM 25 lagoon Aio, and we're piece things together as we go. I've had a reef tank before almost 4 years ago but had to sell it due to unfortunate events. But decided to jump back into the hobby and brought my wife along lol.
The tank came with the mighty jet pump (which I've had in the past), but not sure what's a good setting to keep it at for good flow and filtration.
Also currently looking for a heater, In the past I had the Finnex and had no issues with it at all. But have read a lot of people having issues. Any insight and recommendations would be appreciated.
 
I like eheim heaters, but regardless of the brand, use an inkbird controller to control your heater.
 
Return pump right? Which one?
Start out mid way and increase and decrease as needed. I just dial mine up and down.

Welcome to R2R. :)
 
There's no such thing as a safe heater brand. You'll find reported issues with all of them. Eheim has one of the best reputations in the hobby, but I've had problems with them being extremely imprecise and having drifting temperatures. I have the same tank as you and ended up going with a 50w Nicrew heater. It's small enough to easily fit in the back compartment, and has an external digital temperature controller that matches my glass thermometer perfectly. But like all heaters, I don't trust it, so it's sized to not overheat my tank too quickly, and I have it connected to an Inkbird controller. The heater still remembers its setting when the Inkbird turns it on and off, and if the Inkbird ever fails on, the heater's own controller will shut it off after another degree or two.
 
Eheim with a INKBIRD, $

Or Helios heater, $$$
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new