Questions about my 50 gallon Breeder tank

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well this will prolly be an ongoing thread with questions for my 50gallon Breeder Set up

well 1st off im looking for some info on what Powerheads to get for my tank. So what would be good? im thinking maybe 2 Koralia 2's

Im going to have Very Little SPS and a clam, mostly Z's amd P's

autoponicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see some specs on your system...

i think 2 K2's can work but will be towards the low flow side...2 K3's will be more sufficient...the stronger flow will help kick up detritus...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want something with a little more option then check out the new Vortech mp10.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out the new Vortech MP10....One MP10 would be enough for your whole tank...Little expensive but they are well worth the money, I have a MP20 on my 60g cube and it is the only flow other then the returns.....Plus they are adjustable and have 4 differant modes and you can make small waves with it....

If you buy 2 K2s that is around $100 add about $79 to that and you will have a pump in the MP10 that will pump at it's max 1500g an hour, plus you can eventually get the battery back up incase power goes out...I'm not a techie guy with my reef tank but the Vortech is one of the best pieces of equipment I have bought in my 25 years of reefing....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great minds......

OP
OP
Nano-Newb1983

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see some specs on your system...

i think 2 K2's can work but will be towards the low flow side...2 K3's will be more sufficient...the stronger flow will help kick up detritus...
tank is 36x18x18
Thanks, i figured k3's would be it

If you want something with a little more option then check out the new Vortech mp10.

Heard of those and they very nice.. They even out yet?

Ok another Newb Question

Lights im thinking the Nova Extreme Pro or Duel 150w MH

Now about the lights, do you really think i would need the MH since its going to be mostly Z's and P's with prolly a Few sps and my clam

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't need MH lighting if you didn't want it. Personally, I still like the colors and shimmer of MH lighting better, and won't ever use anything but it unless LED lighting really comes in strong. It all depends on your priorities though. The Nova would be easier on the electric bill and would run a lot cooler.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go MH for sure. My zoanthids and palys never looked near as good when I was running anything different. Also I am thinking that at 36" one MH will not do the job. Your going to have a bright spot in the middle and darker edges on the tank.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a single MH with the right reflector you would be fine with a 250w over a tank like that. I had a 250 SE on my 40g long a few years ago and there wasn't much I couldn't keep. Remember that it may start out Zs and Ps but over time you will collect a few different corals. Better to spend the money now that will do more or give you more options as you change tastes and add things then have to get new lights so you can get those corals your really want.....I started out the same way with VHOs and as I saw other corals I wanted I had to get into the high watt lighting....Best toget as much as you can at first then to have to spend more money down the road....MH retro and supplement with some T-5s and you will be set for all corals and inverts.

OP
OP
Nano-Newb1983

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice guys.. I think im going to go with the MP10 for flow

I would go with a single MH with the right reflector you would be fine with a 250w over a tank like that. I had a 250 SE on my 40g long a few years ago and there wasn't much I couldn't keep. Remember that it may start out Zs and Ps but over time you will collect a few different corals. Better to spend the money now that will do more or give you more options as you change tastes and add things then have to get new lights so you can get those corals your really want.....I started out the same way with VHOs and as I saw other corals I wanted I had to get into the high watt lighting....Best toget as much as you can at first then to have to spend more money down the road....MH retro and supplement with some T-5s and you will be set for all corals and inverts.

Ok so with the lights 1-250w MH and supp with T-5s sounds like a good idea

Now what lights/equipment should i get? got links?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your going to do a retro set up, I would do a 250w Radium bulb with a Galaxy Ballast and a Lumenmax reflector. Not sure about heat though. Do you have a canopy? Chiller?

OP
OP
Nano-Newb1983

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will build canopy once i get lights and no chiller.. Its going to be in my basement, so i dont think heat will be much of a problem

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Nano-Newb1983

Nano-Newb1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool, i wrote it all down.. So now what should i get for the T-5 Supp lighting? Sorry for all the questions just trying to figured out everything i need to start my build

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the T-5 it is hard to beat Hellolights.com prices on their T-5 retro kits...

Here is the kit:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1350

$143 for the whole thing if you choose UVI Super atinics...Hard to be that price.

But you can add bulbs that you want the kit comes with everything you need including 2 individual reflectors for each bulb very improtant for T-5 lights....I have the same one but 24w 2 bulb kit....

No problem with the questions m8 that is what we are here for...Share and share alike! Keep them coming. We will help you as much as we can....

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 50 breeder before and it had a black center brace. You will not be able to go with one MH unless you replaced the center brace with something clear.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem with that reflector is it will not cover 6'' on either side of it depending how high you have the canopy over the tank. If you can adjust it though when you get it. You will also want to set the T-5s out side that reflector so the T-5s do not inhibit the light coming from the MH.

I have my T-5s about an 1'' to the out side of my reflector and get great coverage. You might want to look at a parabolic reflector which will give you a bit more spread lenght wise....This is the one I have....
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=PFO-PR24SA8ME&Category_Code=Sockets

I got great coverage with it an a 40g long that is 48''....But it is all a matter of opinion as well.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back