Amphipod breeder setup

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240424_082423.jpg
I put about 10lbs live sand a dry rock in with a heater, 2 bubblers full of carbon, floss and 1 purigen packet. A piece of macro is coming with the pods i ordered. Im hoping in 6 months or so i have a population in here i can feed to my dwarf sea horses and swimmers in my big tank. Any one have an amphipod set or any suggestions? Oh i also have a nyos white light.

I put the bubblers in because im not sure if a hob is too aggressive for amphipod fry. My first run at trying to breed food.
My plan is to put water from the big tank which has ample nutrients for macro In for weekly water changes, probably a gallon a week. Feed pod flakes 2x a week and rotate the macro if the low flow doesnt really feed it. Im getting some ulva with the pods i believe. Ive read that does alright in low flow. That and cheto. Ive never messed with cheto but i have stocked sea luttuce for my fox. Any suggestions on a low flow macro would be super helpful. Any feedback or suggestions would be very appreicated as well.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been collecting amphipods all my life and still collect here behind my house. I think your tank is much to bare. They live under flat rocks or other things that are not tight to the bottom. Like a flat rock raised just enough for the amphipods to get under.

I find most of them under a pierce of flat wood that isn't stuck to the bottom. They will eat flakes or just about anything else of a vegetable matter.

I would cover the bottom in something flat as they will not venture out in the open if they can help it. They reproduce forever in my tank.

They will also get into those submerged filters and you will not be able to get them out.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy. Covering of the bottom was what i was hoping to achieve with the sand. Drift wood maybe? Now im pondering safe flat surfaces for the bottom of a 10 gallon.
I have been collecting amphipods all my life and still collect here behind my house. I think your tank is much to bare. They live under flat rocks or other things that are not tight to the bottom. Like a flat rock raised just enough for the amphipods to get under.

I find most of them under a pierce of flat wood that isn't stuck to the bottom. They will eat flakes or just about anything else of a vegetable matter.

I would cover the bottom in something flat as they will not venture out in the open if they can help it. They reproduce forever in my tank.

They will also get into those submerged filters and you will not be able to get them out.

Is a hod a better option than the bubblers? Help me understand better what filter should i put and why please. Will the fry be able to clear a hob? My guess was it would be too rough but i have one that i can put on there.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any "filter" you put in there will be full of amphipods. I wouldn't use a filter, just circulation. Any filter will also remove amphipod babies as they swim a lot.
All you need is rock that have a covering of bacteria or at least algae as thats what they can eat also. (but you still need to add flakes)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic pot scrubbers are great breeding grounds for them. Makes it easy to harvest them too, just pull out a pot scrubber. I agree with @Paul B any filter in the tank will become their hiding area, a small wave maker would be better. If it were me I would do pot scrubbers weighted with a small rock, some small seeded rubble, and a small wave maker like a cheap jebao or maybe just 2 air stones one on each end.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any "filter" you put in there will be full of amphipods. I wouldn't use a filter, just circulation. Any filter will also remove amphipod babies as they swim a lot.
All you need is rock that have a covering of bacteria or at least algae as thats what they can eat also. (but you still need to add flakes)

Alright. The tank is cycled so bacteria is on the rocks and sand. It has been getting stability for a week now on top of live sand i let settle and not super rinsed. I will pull the filters today as no pods get put in until friday. I have larger round air stones. A pad of ulva is coming with the pods as well as a variety of macro for my fox. I will put the ulva or some other macro in with the pods.
Plastic pot scrubbers are great breeding grounds for them. Makes it easy to harvest them too, just pull out a pot scrubber. I agree with @Paul B any filter in the tank will become their hiding area, a small wave maker would be better. If it were me I would do pot scrubbers weighted with a small rock, some small seeded rubble, and a small wave maker like a cheap jebao or maybe just 2 air stones one on each end.
Copy on the wave maker. Ill hit petco tonight for a nano. A plastic pot scrubber, like a lufa style plastic one like a bodywash scrubber or a green scrubber type? I have a couple of those i can put in.

Thank you for the feedback and the clarification. I really appreicate it. I think you may have just pushed me over the first hump of the learning curve. No filter needed. Circulation and gas exchange are more important. Makes sense because their physical waste probably isnt the same concern as fish.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. The tank is cycled so bacteria is on the rocks and sand. It has been getting stability for a week now on top of live sand i let settle and not super rinsed. I will pull the filters today as no pods get put in until friday. I have larger round air stones. A pad of ulva is coming with the pods as well as a variety of macro for my fox. I will put the ulva or some other macro in with the pods.

Copy on the wave maker. Ill hit petco tonight for a nano. A plastic pot scrubber, like a lufa style plastic one like a bodywash scrubber or a green scrubber type? I have a couple of those i can put in.

Thank you for the feedback and the clarification. I really appreicate it. I think you may have just pushed me over the first hump of the learning curve. No filter needed. Circulation and gas exchange are more important. Makes sense because their physical waste probably isnt the same concern as fish.
these.
1714049181604.png

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never get the amphipods out of any sponge or similar filter material

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will never get the amphipods out of any sponge or similar filter material
They typically leave with in 24 hrs in search of food when I have used them in the past. Did some stay? maybe but they just get recycled into the breeding tank. I started a breeding tank of these years ago when I had 2 crocodile pipe fish and wanted to make sure they had plenty to eat. I cant remember who recommended I use these but it worked well. In fact when I seeded my new tank recently they came in on the same type of sponge.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240425_121131.jpg
Bubblers out, air stones in their place. Those balls of macro came with the pods. They showed up early so i had to take a long lunch and run and pick them up and get everything tanked today. The algaes dont sink. I have a large air pump so the water is moving a bunch. More than it was with the bubble filters. Think i should put a fan in? Petco didnt have any nanos so ill have to order something....but im not really sure if i need more flow.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else to cover the bottom will get dropped in tonight, probably a plastic lid. I will try the sponges after i can see population growth for the transfering to he different tanks they will be fed to. The dwarf seahorses might appreicate the smaller ones in the sponge more.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red yellow and green algae in that now. Looks pretty but im very very unsure of this project. Lol
These are pretty easy, as long as their basic requirements are met. Looks good! Not sure it will be that easy to harvest them though. Mine were purely "business" not looks some small rock rubble and about 10 sponges. These are easier to breed then other pods by far its great they eat fish food. Culturing phyto isnt for me.

OP
OP
reefermadnes5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to give the sponge a try. Thank you for the input. My apprehension is just with the macro being in a tank with no fish. And a tank with no filter!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back